Been out of the game for a bit....

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I havent modded a light for quite some time, so I am not up to date on all the new cool stuff out. I have an urge to build something bright, so here is an outline of what I want to acheive:

Mag 2c or 3c host

Preferably alkaline/NiMH cells but Lithium is ok if it has to be

Lots of lumens out the front

Bombproof build (it will be bouncing about in the back of my van)

The last light I built was a D bin P7 in a 3d mag, direct drive off primary cells. It suits all my requirements as it is as simple as can be, no driver to go wrong and just two wires. I potted the LED in epoxy so it cant come loose and this thing will just go on and on and on.

I want to do something similar but in a more portable size and weight, hence the 2c option. Is there a driver which can provide the full 2.8A to a P7 from 2 primary C cells? Should I be looking at newer brighter LEDs, if they exist? Would I be wise to do resistored DD from 2 25500 lithiums?

Maybe a 3c would be a better host? Then I can just go DD from primary cells, job done.

I really want to use the 2c; I have a shop near me where I can get one but 3c are harder to get here.

Finally is anybody doing a HA3 group buy at the moment, a special host would be ideal for this build.

Sorry for all the questions but I dont know what is cutting edge at the moment. I will continue to read the forums to try and catch up but if anybody can fill in the above blanks for me that would be great.