Solarforce Host/battery question

Z

z_JustinTime

I tried searching but several pages came up. None were titled that addressed what I'm trying to research.

The question: Can RCR123 batteries be used in a light host that is advertised as using the CR123 such as the Solarforce L2P? From what I can tell the drop in/module is what determines whether or not the light can support the RCR123.

Next question, why do some lights such as the Quarrk 123Turbo specify that RCR123's not be used when there are 3.0v versions of the battery?

spexmaniac

Newly Enlightened
Basically a CR123 (primary or throw away battery) produces 3.0V, a rechargeable RCR123 produces usually 3.7V so you can see 2xcr123= 6V, 2xrcr123 = 7.4 volts and that difference can be enough to cook your drop in/bulb. As you have spotted there are 3.0v RCR123's available.
The simple answer to your question is it depends on the "drop in" voltage rating, if its 3-6v No to Rechargeables, if its 3-8v Yes, as to exactly why Quark and others say no to RCR123's could just be they're only rated to 6V and they're worried people will use over voltage batteries and cook the drivers. I'm sure someone will give a better reason than that, but that's all I've got.
hope that helps
John

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I would add is that rcr123 cells are actually 4.2V when they come off the charger so you need a drop-in that can handle 8.4V on the high end. Yes, you can use a L2P though you may have a little battery rattle (not a big deal).