e2e ha/kl1 problems

dxerdave

Newly Enlightened
Hi all new to this board,
I just received the kl1 and installed it on the e2e ha.
The problem is the inside tip is almost pointy and it looks as to almost put a hole in the tip of the battery.
Also this has not been very reliable. It doesn't work half the time, and I find myself constantly taking it apart and looking at the assembly and trying over and over just to get it to light.
Has anyone else had a problem like this?
confused.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
dxerdave,

I would guess that your anode contact ( the point) isn't your problem. Is the battery tube screwing into the bezel all the way and completely covering the O-ring? If so ,try a portion of a small paper clip bent in a crescent or circle about the diameter of the battery tube lip. Place this in the bezel on the cathode ring (shinny washer recessed within the head). If you re install the bezel to battery tube, the paperclip should be sandwiched between the tube lip and cathode ring, completing the ground circuit. Another possability is that the tail cap switch is somehow gunked up or not making good contact. Check the inside lip in the tail and make sure it's clean as well as the contacting surface of the switch slug, outboard the contact spring cavity.

Good luck!

- Don

EDIT: I suggest these checks for your own satisfaction of curiousity. If you can determin where the fault lies, you can then proceed with rectification of the problem by SF if that turns out to be necessary.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I understand some of the KL1's (old style?) have this pointy terminal. This needle apparently tends to go through the hole of some 123s and does not make good contact. The new KLones have a round terminal.

Surefire will take care of you. Call customer service.

Cheers.

Edit - McGizmo, Thanks. I am likely wrong but I got this from another thread which I can no longer find (even with search)
frown.gif
. I had intended to quote the other post originally but failed to do so
blush.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Monanza,

I believe you have that reversed. The new style has the pointed anode contact. If dxerdave is using a battery with a hole in the contact, that is a likely source of the problem, good call.

- Don

dxerdave

Newly Enlightened
No I don't have a hole in the battery, just a deep impression. Both of these items are brand new. It is very bright when it works. Brighter than my arc LS, and badboy500. I went nuts and grabbed a bunch heh heh, Just not as reliable as those 2 with this problem. I'm not sure about the paper clip idea. I will check it out when I get home. It's just kind of frustrating, one second it works the next it doesn't. Thanks for all the replies.
Dave

dxerdave

Newly Enlightened
no I checked and cleaned and it is still intermittent.
off one minute on the next.
I guess the next step is a call to surefire.
confused.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
dxerdave,

Did you try bridgeing the gap between the battery tube lip and the contact ring in the bezel?

- Don

dxerdave

Newly Enlightened
Don,
No I did not try that as I didn't want to damage the threads unless I am looking at your suggestion all wrong.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
dxerdave,

I guess I didn't explain myself. You need to hold the bezel upside down and drop in a staple of section of paperclip down onto the shiny outer ring of the ground contact washer. If you then screw the battery pak into the bezel, the lip of the pack should squeeze the clip or staple between it and the contact washer. You don't need to tighten this hard and the threads will not be effected at all. This is just to determin if the fault might be in the ground path from tube to bezel.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Probably designed to only work with surefire brand 123s.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Charles,

Just dxerdave's or all of the KL1's? It's this kind of insight and thoughtful comments that keeps me coming back to CPF
grin.gif
tongue.gif

- Don

dxerdave

Newly Enlightened
sorry for the delay, I was away.

Nothing I tried worked, it was the same after the staple test as well.

I ended up just sending it back to surefire for a replacement.

It was just unreliable, I couldn't trust it for anything and I hope the next one works ok.

I never had a problem really with any other light before.

Thanks for the replies again and I wonder if anyone else has had a problem with a kl1?

Dave