Looking at getting a PDA. Suggestions?

bwcaw

Enlightened
I am thinking about getting a PDA. I would like to be able to use it as an organizer for phone #'s, e-mail addy's, etc. and use it to play MP3's. Any suggestions? Any PDA's to specifically avoid? I would like to spend under $200 if possible, but I might be able to go over that.

I did a quick search on pda's at a price comparison site, and found a pda that I like (the sony Clie' sj33), it was under $200, and the reviews of it claim that the MP3 player is pretty good. Does anybody here have one of these? Is it worth the money? If not what would you suggest in that price range? Thanks for any advice you can give! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
I am thinking about getting a PDA. I would like to be able to use it as an organizer for phone #'s, e-mail addy's, etc. and use it to play MP3's. Any suggestions? Any PDA's to specifically avoid? I would like to spend under $200 if possible, but I might be able to go over that.

I did a quick search on pda's at a price comparison site, and found a pda that I like (the sony Clie' sj33), it was under $200, and the reviews of it claim that the PM3 player is pretty good. Does anybody here have one of these? Is it worth the money? If not what would you suggest in that price range? Thanks for any advice you can give! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of places you can goto see reviews, one is http://www.brighthand.com/ and another is http://www.palminfocenter.com/

One comment is that Palm OS 4 is being outdated as we speak. The Sony Clie SJ33 fits your needs, but is very slow for other work. I suggest you go with a Palm OS 5 device, such as the Palm Tungsten|T - but it may be a bit more expensive than your range. Palm OS 5 supports ARM processors (read: faster [166 MHz for the T|T], and you can multitask [listen music while doing other stuff]) and it is IMHO a livesaver for the Palm OS world in the competition against the PPC. Good luck,

Dan

Saaby

Flashaholic
Don't exclude PocketPCs though. (Dan) can you easily have your eMail sync with a Palm? That is one of my favorite things about my PocketPC. I can download my Inbox to it and then reply to messages on the go. As soon as I sync they send. With the newer Palm devices being able to multi-task I can't say that PocketPC has any really distinct advantages, it's mostly a personal prefrence--so play with both at the store. The Palm inerface is easier at first but Windows Mobile has a short learning curve and then it's a very lovable OS.

One of the nice things about the PocketPC (And I'm thinging in particular about my Dell Axim) is that you can get them with CF slots. I am going to get a Secure Digital card for my Axim to put programs and such on that will stay in all the time, but I can then get some compact flash memory (It's cheaper than SD) for MP3s. When I'm sick of listening to MP3s I can pop that card out and pop in a CF GPS reciever that turns my Axim into a GPS unit. When I'm done navigating I can pop out that and pop in a camera...

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Don't exclude PocketPCs though. (Dan) can you easily have your eMail sync with a Palm? That is one of my favorite things about my PocketPC. I can download my Inbox to it and then reply to messages on the go. As soon as I sync they send.

[/ QUOTE ]

No arguing in this thread. But I do want to make a point - Palm has been able to do that for a long while.

Looks like he wants Palm, but I don't know if he keeps his options open. He does want to do PIM though, so I do recommend Palm.

Dan

bwcaw

Enlightened
I really don't have a preference for the OS. I think that the windows based os would be easier to learn how to use, but I am game to learn how to use the palm system. The music would be the main use of it, I don't recieve that many e-mails, so I don't think it would be much of a benifit for me to be able to reply to those while I am out of the house away from my PC.

The tungsten T is a little out of my price range, but I was looking at one of the HP ipaq's (don't remember which one) and it looked interesting except for the 2.5mm headphone jack. Right now the issue is keeping it under or around $200 if possible. Thanks for the advice, and links! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GeoffChan

Enlightened
how about a Palm Zire 71?

I would wait until November. Palm will rumoured to be releasing 3 new Palms.

I have a Tungsten T2 and it :rocks:

Geoff

Screehopper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GeoffChan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

PDA's have a real short production cycle. Seems like a new Palm comes out ever five to nine months! So older models end up getting discontinued very early on.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
GeoffChan said:
how about a Palm Zire 71?

I have a Tungsten T2 and it :rocks:

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if you want top of the line, then wait. But your limit of $200 is cutting it close in the Palm OS land. If that's your limit, then I would really recommend either the Sony you mentioned, or the Zire 71 (dunno on price for that, sorry)

Dan

bwcaw

Enlightened
I looked at the Zire 71, and it would be pretty neat to have the ability to use the camera (granted, it is not a very good one) but it sure beats no camera at all. It runs about $250-$280. I think I will wait untill november anyway, because it would probably take that long to save up the money for it.

Thanks guys for all the advice!

RevDavid

Enlightened
I am using the Palm Tungsten T2, but it looks like it will be replaced in roughly a month, by the Palm Tungsten E, which will sell for (are you ready for this?) $199.99

Wait a few weeks, and see if that one doesn't do it for you. Palm is creating a dual lineup with consumer models from $99 up, and enterprise class models from $199, with the Tungsten E looking like the best deal for the person requiring a business model. It is supposed to have 32 mb ram, and a 144 mhz processor, so it should basically replace the current Tungsten T2 at half the price.

David <><

RevDavid

Enlightened
BTW, it will probably be OS 5.2, with the new grafitti 2, which is a little easier to learn.
Compared to the SJ33, it will be faster, with more memory, and a brighter screen with the same 320x320 resolution. I hope it will still be a metal body, but that has not been confirmed yet. The SJ33 is plastic.

David <><

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RevDavid said:
BTW, it will probably be OS 5.2, with the new grafitti 2, which is a little easier to learn.
Compared to the SJ33, it will be faster, with more memory, and a brighter screen with the same 320x320 resolution. I hope it will still be a metal body, but that has not been confirmed yet. The SJ33 is plastic.

David <><

[/ QUOTE ]

More info on the new Palms to be rumored released in November are talked about here: PalmInfocenter

If you are used to the old Graffiti, the Graffiti 2 is annoying to switch to! If not, then it is easy to learn as RevDavid said.

Dan

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
After a lot of research, I bought an 8 MB Palm M105. I invested a lot of time downloading software and tuning it to do what I wanted. At the end of the day, I no longer use it. Reason: no keyboard. Fundamentally, stylus input is slow, crippled input. Next purchase I make, the unit will have a thumb keyboard. All the rest is gravy.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
After a lot of research, I bought an 8 MB Palm M105. I invested a lot of time downloading software and tuning it to do what I wanted. At the end of the day, I no longer use it. Reason: no keyboard. Fundamentally, stylus input is slow, crippled input. Next purchase I make, the unit will have a thumb keyboard. All the rest is gravy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most Palm branded handhelds have a Palm Universal Connector (affectionately known as UC) in which you can attach thumbboards and full size keyboards, chargers, and other peripherals. Unfortunately, I think yours doesn't have it (I'm not sure though, check the manual).

Dan

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
I looked at the Zire 71, and it would be pretty neat to have the ability to use the camera (granted, it is not a very good one) but it sure beats no camera at all. It runs about $250-$280. I think I will wait untill november anyway, because it would probably take that long to save up the money for it.

Thanks guys for all the advice!

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, that's a good idea. I recently purchased the Zire 71 for my daughter to take to college instead of having to carry a notebook PC. I added Documents To Go, a Palm Folding Keyboard (AWESOME piece of gear!)(you have a choice of 2, look closely at them), and a 256M memory card. She loves it, not only does she have the PIM, but she can run MS Word/Excel on it, input notes in class with a full-size keyboard, play with the camera, and use it for MP3s. The only negative to it was the slow speed of loading MP3s onto the SDcard - she works around it by queuing up the songs and letting it run while she is out or sleeping. Beautiful hi-res screen, too.
Another advantage - the learning curve is not at all steep. Once I had it all set up, she was able to fully utilize it in a day.

I paid $269 at googlegear.com in August, the price should really drop once the new ones come out. Check at store.palm.com periodically for rebates and special offers.

BTW, nice site for info: pdabuyersguide.com

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you do get your PDA don't forget to get your Executive Multifunction Stylus.

The new the pen-sized Executive Multifunction Stylus preforms four functions in one -- a smooth-writing pen, a laser pointer (up to 500 yards range), a flashlight and, of course, a stylus. The James Bond of styli will sell for $19.95.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
[ QUOTE ]
logicnerd411 said: Most Palm branded handhelds have a Palm Universal Connector (affectionately known as UC) in which you can attach thumbboards and full size keyboards <snip>

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about that, I bought the separate folding keyboard which is a mechanical wonder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also bought the Kodak PalmPix camera which is not much better than a toy (poor resolution). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

My main point here is that if you can touch-type, buy one with an integrated thumb keyboard -- you'll appreciate the speed advantages.

If you can't touch type, then stylus input will likely suffice.

bwcaw

Enlightened
I was looking around at e-bay last night, and found a couple of Zire 71's that were up there that were around $215 in the "buy it now" thingie. What I am hoping is that they will lower the price when the new palms come out in Nov.

I never thought of the palm keyboard thing, but it sounds pretty neat! It would sure beat the heck out of a stylus! Even one of those "james bond" styluses! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just hope that I can wait untill november to get one. I am really tempted to just sell a flashlight and buy the palm now. If you guys don't expect the price to go down a whole lot in Nov. I might just do that. What do you think?

BTW I read in the reviews at palminfocenter that the zire 71 turns on in your pocket a lot if you don't have a hard case for it. Isn't there a lock out switch or something? That seems kinda wierd that you can't lock out the buttons when you stow it.