Does anyone make a light with a mode selector switch?

mrozowjj

Newly Enlightened
I was at a gun store this weekend and they had a bunch of the Nebo Redline Tacticals sitting there and I realized I liked a lot of things about that light but it has the same "problem" that I have with most multi-mode lights.

I like that lights have multiple brightness settings and a strobe function but I don't like that turning the light on and off quickly cycles through the modes because sometimes I just want to flash a bit of light and other times to get to the dim mode I have to burn through a bright mode killing my night vision.

What I'm looking for and hoping you all can help me find is a light that has a strobe and various brightness settings that are selectable by turning a bezel or switch or something. I want the tail-cap switch to just be an on and off button, not the means to cycle between the modes.

Does such a thing exist? Ideally I'd want a small-ish similar in size to my Fenix L1D or the previous mentioned Nebo Redline and to run off AA too.

boulder

Newly Enlightened
Sunwayman M10A. Powered by a single AA battery. Has a mode selector ring and a forward click switch. I'm not if it has strobe off the top of my head but check out GoingGear or BatteryJunction to find the specs on the light.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My personal recommendation would be the Jetbeam RRT-0 with the new variable brightness controls. The forward clicky switch acts as the on/off and allows for momentary on for burst as well as fully lock-on. The ring on the head controls the power from 0.003 lumen all the way to 255 lumens in variable brightness and back down to 0.003 lumen again if you wish. It appears to brighten or dim steplessly. When you hit the lowest low of 0.003 lumen after dimming down, you would then hit a detent on the control ring which acts as a standby off mode. Going back one more notch turns on strobe. To go back up to full power just rotate the ring back the other direction. One could always turn the light on in the lowest low by pre-turning the ring until somewhere near the standby mode detent before switching it on.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention that the RRT-0 comes ready for CR123 battery but could take AA alkaline, AA Lithium, NiMH, or 14500 Li-Ion via the included AA extender. Do note that it runs dim on AA alkaline, AA Lithium, and NiMH batteries though. On 14500 Li-Ion, rechargeable CR123 (16340 battery), and CR123 Lithiums it runs brighter.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several Klarus models have the switch separate from the level selector. The selector is however an electronic one which offers a limited selection with the light off.

I have an NT10 1 x CR123 and I am very happy with it.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of several:

1) Quark Tactical lights (1xAA or 2xAA or 1x123 or 2x123) - 2 output settings that you program (head tight & head loose.)
2) Quark Turbo - same as above but these lights are designed for throw.
3) Zebralights - their UI is a CPF favorite. Here's how they all work: quick press = max, double click = medium, and a slow click = low. Also, each level has a sublevel...very cool.
4) Klarus lights - have a tail clicky with a mode selector switch on the head.
5) HDS - you program each level, and can quickly get to each setting without cycling through modes.
6) Fenix - several fenix lights have a mode selector switch like the LD40, TK15, & TK35. These lights have an on/off switch and a mode selector switch.
7) Olight - olight has a few lights with an on/off switch and a mode selector button like the M30 & the M20S.
8) EagleTac - I have the M3C4 XM-L and it has an on/off tactical switch with a control ring for selecting the output levels...although the clicky switch strangely has a half second delay when turning on this light.
9) Sunwayman - I don't own these lights yet, but they have a control ring for output setting and a clicky switch that simply turns the light on/off.
10) Nitecore - IFE1, IFE2, and IFD2 to name a few have a clicky switch with a control ring that controls the output.
11) Catapult - has a whole new series of lights...check em out.

The list goes on.....hope this helped.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you are looking for is a "Rotary" control. Many companies offer such a light, and depending upon your budget and intended normal use I can advise on a few.

For hard use, or situations where you need a durable light source to potentially protect yourself. (Withstand hard recoil, drops, submersion, etc)

Surefire U2. This doesn't have the greatest output, and is basically a model several years old (its predecessor, the U2A [IIRC] is the first light I know of to employ such a control feature.) The U2 is going to be the most heavily tested model out there, because of its age. IT is backed up by one of the best warranties/customer service departments int he business.

The (new, shipping soon) HDS Rotary model, from HDS Systems. I own one of their older Clicky's, and before that I had their early EDC Models. These are, IMO, some of the best lights on the market. They are durable, user friendly, easy to operate and program, and, again, have on of the best warranties/CS departments. These aren't actually shipped yet, but if their past lights are any testament to their design and testing, the Rotary should be every bit as durable. These are also cheaper than the aforementioned Surefire U2.
----------------------------------
For non "mission-critical" situations (ie: general every day life), any of the great lights mentioned by previous posters would probably fit the bill.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
After reviewing price, size, feature-set I'm down to the Sunway M10A and the iTp SA1

Do you need to have your flashlight on to select which mode you enter?

Yes , But it has mode memory . Click for low-med-high-fast strobe or press and hold for ramping variable output
flashlight005.jpg

mrozowjj

Newly Enlightened
Hmm. Assuming that the Sunway M10A allows you to change modes while the light is off I think that's going to be the light for me.

boulder

Newly Enlightened
With the M10A you can select modes while the light is off. Turn the selector ring to the desired level THEN turn on. You can also turn the ring while the light is on and select modes that way as well.

GoodLuck!

Gixxergreg

Newly Enlightened
I'm partial to olight. M20S wounds like it would be right up your alley
M-30 Triton special operations if you want a little brighter :thumbsup:

mrozowjj

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the Sunway M10A. I'll update when it gets here.

Last edited:

mrozowjj

Newly Enlightened
I got my light today. It could use a little more knurling to give it a better grip, the switch it recessed enough that it's hard to press while holding onto the light in a comfortable way, it's a bit thicker than like and the pocket clip that came with it has it pointing opposite of the direction I'd like but otherwise I like it. It will do for now.