? ITP A3 EOS upgrade Q5 and R5 differences. Could you even tell?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Pardon the question if its dumb or I may just be blind as bat!!

Try searching, reading thru lots and lots of threads and seems to come up empty.

Do any of you own or owned both these lights and can tell if there are major difference. Is the run time, hot spot or just better tints for either led? Did anyone do a shootout between these two?

I need to get a few for my kids + nieces . I'd be :broke: either way, so send me on the right way before I take a :sick2:.

Best regards.
Newuser

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Pardon the question if its dumb or I may just be blind as bat!!

Try searching, reading thru lots and lots of threads and seems to come up empty.

Do any of you own or owned both these lights and can tell if there are major difference. Is the run time, hot spot or just better tints for either led? Did anyone do a shootout between these two?

I need to get a few for my kids + nieces . I'd be :broke: either way, so send me on the right way before I take a :sick2:.

Best regards.
Newuser

I think it is just the output is higher the R5 is listed at 1.8/22/90 while the Q5 is 1.5/18/80 I think but with differences in binning it is possible that you could compare a top end Q5 and a low end R5 and be unable to tell the difference if those are the true levels

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Provided we are talking about XP-G emitters
@ 350 MAH the Q5 is between 107-114 lumens.
@ 350 MAH the R5 is between 139-148 lumens according to CREE's website. Hope that helps!

soytnly

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful collection of lights, now I have something to aspire to!

HKJ

Flashaholic
Wow! Nice collection of 1aaa lights.

I love aaa lights. :)

Beautiful collection of lights, now I have something to aspire to!

It is only a small part of my AAA lights, here are a few more:
DSC_0475.jpg

Or with colors:
DSC_0888.jpg

I have compared many of them on my website.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Wow.......

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back on topic. (trying hard to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor!!

Ok. So there is no real differences as far as human eye can see nor much of the difference in run time!

Yes!!

What about the tint?
Would you be able to tell if one is green or too warm?
Are these lights generally pretty whiter l(not too blue)?

newuser

sgt253

Enlightened
I just purchased three iTP EOS A3 Upgraded 1xaaa from a CPF retailer. They are great little lights; are very bright;fit and finish is very good, great tint (not blue or green but white). I would hope they would be a good indication of the light you are looking for. Good luck.

Regards.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

I have both. The biggest difference I notice is the size of the hotspot: Q5 is smaller, R5 is larger due to the XP-G emitter having a larger die size.

My suggestion is to buy the older Q5 version that has the M/L/H sequence, as that is more user-friendly for non-flashaholics (ie kids + nieces) than the L/M/H sequence of the later versions. Non-experts tend to forget the light has multiple levels, and Medium is often good enough for most purposes, where Lo is definitely not.

Of course if your kids are budding flashaholics then the R5 L/M/H version is the go.

It may take a bit of looking to find the older M/L/H versions (and they will be Q5), but I'm sure they are around.

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I have both. The biggest difference I notice is the size of the hotspot: Q5 is smaller, R5 is larger due to the XP-G emitter having a larger die size.

My suggestion is to buy the older Q5 version that has the M/L/H sequence, as that is more user-friendly for non-flashaholics (ie kids + nieces) than the L/M/H sequence of the later versions. Non-experts tend to forget the light has multiple levels, and Medium is often good enough for most purposes, where Lo is definitely not.

Of course if your kids are budding flashaholics then the R5 L/M/H version is the go.

It may take a bit of looking to find the older M/L/H versions (and they will be Q5), but I'm sure they are around.

They aren't great, as those ones still had the low pwm.

mfm

Enlightened

Agreed, I recently got asked about battery change on an iTP A2 that I gifted. Ofcourse the battery was OK, just that the recipient had forgot about the modes and just got the low mode every time.

Only reason I gave a light with L-M-H was that AA and long runtime were the requirements. I think I will still offer to replace it with a single-mode light.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Well! Thanks to everyone who chimed in!!

I've placed an order for 4 lights. All black Q5 upgrade version. They were out of stock on one mode version, Oh well.

They will love it.

Thanks again.

PS. I might keep one in my pocket and run it with Li-ion. :)

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

PS. I might keep one in my pocket and run it with Li-ion. :)

I EDC a SS iTP A3 Upgrade XP-G R5 with a Li-ion battery and it just kicks azz! Whenever I whip that little baby out, people are blown away. They invariably want all the particulars on the light and battery. I betcha I have given away ~30 of those iTP A3's in the past 6 months, plus a half-dozen chargers (with 10440 batteries). The A3 flashlights make the best gifts. Regardless if the recipient is man or woman or child or non-flashoholic, everyone loves the light!

Of course, if it's kids or non-flashoholics, then I don't even tell them about the 10440 battery mod (as it is possibly a little dangerous). I just tell them to use a standard AAA Alkaline battery.

BigChelis measured the lumens output of a XP-G R5 using 10440 in a Preon 1, and it was 326 lumens at startup! Woohoo, that's a lotta lumens for a dinky little keychain light. :thumbsup:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested the A3 EOS XPG R5 to my old A3 EOS XPE, and there is very little difference in output. I actually returned the first one that I bought, because I thought it was faulty or something, but the replacement that I got was the exact same. The first one that I got was actually the exact same brightness (according to my lightbox), and the replacement was around 3 lumens brighter on high. Pretty disappointing really. The light is still great, but I wouldn't buy one of these if you already have an older version of this light.

Batang Regla

Newly Enlightened
BigChelis measured the lumens output of a XP-G R5 using 10440 in a Preon 1, and it was 326 lumens at startup! Woohoo, that's a lotta lumens for a dinky little keychain light. :thumbsup:

You mean 326 lumens at startup is by low mode? So by medium and high mode the lumens still increases?

What brand mo 10440 are you using?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
You mean 326 lumens at startup is by low mode? So by medium and high mode the lumens still increases?

What brand mo 10440 are you using?

LOL, no man. The 326 lumens is on HIGH. By "startup", I mean that the lumens decreases as the light heats up.

Here's the actual chart I am referring to:
preon10440.jpg

-

Last edited: