sunwayman v10r titan with AA extender alternatives?

AaronG

Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering picking up a V10R titan with extender. They won't be available for a little while so I thought I'd check out any other options first. I'm looking for a pimpin' single AA light with a rotary ring and nice low low.

The closest comparison I've seen is the Jetbeam TCR2 but it's CR123 only and limited production. The other option is the Nitecore IFE1 (CR123) or IFD2 (2 AA) neither are titanium and the price isn't THAT much cheaper than the Ti Sunwayman.

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks,

Aaron

gunga

Flashaholic
Yes, I have one. I only use it on cr123 because it's quite large with AA. Note. It also has a bit of a delay when using momentary. Nice light though. I have modded it to neutral and it has the ti ex11 clip. Nice.

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
1. cr123 with AA extender
2. Variable control
3. Titanium

Sunwayman V10R: supposedly will have 1, 2, & 3
Jetbeam TC-R2: 2 & 3
Jetbeam RRT-0: 1 & 2
IFE1: 2

Based on that list, the sunwayman isn't superior (jetbeam seems to be a bit brighter, and I don't know about the IFE1 much), and Jetbeam may be releasing a flashlight with 1,2 & 3 later this year if there's demand for it

Last edited:

jjoustfrost

Newly Enlightened
oops, changed it ^^ thanks

and yes the v10r is smaller which is why I chose it over the other lights, but based on online comparisons and reviews, the TCR2 and jetbeam appear to have an edge on brightness

AaronG

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses guys. It looks like the Sunwayman is a winner, if it's not too pricey with the extender. The ti jetbeam looks like a contender though if they make an extender for it.

Has anyone modded the V10R yet? It would be cool if it could be upgraded down the road. :naughty:

Last edited:

njet212

Enlightened
Yes, I have one. I only use it on cr123 because it's quite large with AA. Note. It also has a bit of a delay when using momentary. Nice light though. I have modded it to neutral and it has the ti ex11 clip. Nice.

I own RRT-0 R5 infinite version and yes it is have delay arround +/- 0.5 second when you do either momentary and constant click. The switch is stiff and hard press, also it's has gap between rubber cap and switch.

Today i just got my RRT-0 S2. I think it's an improvement over RRT-0 R5. The switch is very responsive, i don't find any delay evidence like i find on RRT-0 R5. The switch also more smooth and soft than switch ( it's travel shorter than switch on RRT-0 R5 ). But when i use AA extender on RRT-0 S2, the body is slightly longer than RRT-0 with AA extender.

AaronG

Enlightened
The V10R ti extender is now available for pre-order. I was really bummed to see that it isn't round :confused: All the lights in this series have a minimalist smooth body. I'm not sure what possesed them to make an oddball extention that stands out. :(

I may yet buy it anyway but I'm really disappointed that it doesn't look like the V10A

ronac

Enlightened
I agree with you on the extender. I can't believe they put a random hex on there.

I bought two anyway because I'll be machining them down until its just round and maybe boring it out so I can use a 17500 cell to double my run time.

AaronG

Enlightened
I agree with you on the extender. I can't believe they put a random hex on there.

I bought two anyway because I'll be machining them down until its just round and maybe boring it out so I can use a 17500 cell to double my run time.

That sounds like a great idea. Maybe we can convince sunwayman to make round extenders too! ;) I'm not a machinist so I'll have to wait for them to do it.

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Can somebody who owns the V10r plus the extender tube please post a picture of them put together. I have seen each pictured separately, but not together. I would like to see if the hex looks funky or not.

I'm more interested in this now that it has an extender tube, but it seems odd that the tube does not match the smooth styling of the light? :shrug:

Bass

Enlightened
Found this on a German site. The extender looks MUCH better on than off. Perhaps Sunwayman did the right thing - the hex looks good and acts as an anti-roll.

SUEX1.jpg

OneBigDay

Enlightened
Thanks Bass-

Jury is still out I guess but you are right it doesn't look bad. Not sure I would have gone with this as my #1 design. This light has enough unique styling they could have picked up on (matched) another pattern like the control ring or the bottom portion of the body instead of introducing a whole new shape/pattern.

In any case, thanks for finding & posting a pic of this.

apurva

Newly Enlightened
I have been wondering what the extender would look like on the V10R-Ti too. I wanna buy this light, but now with all the awesome reviews of the XM-L powered lights like the nutron 1C, am wondering if its worth spending $170 on the Sunwayman.

I wish someone made some XM-L based, 1xRCR123 powered Titanuim lights the size of the Quark Mini with an AA extension tube! Now that would be perfect! (for some time) :D

Bass

Enlightened
No problem, I knew I had seen a pic somewhere so just crawled my browser history :)

I guess the looks will divide opinion. For me, I kind of like it and it adds anti roll function but I like the idea of taking patterns from elsewhwere on the light :naughty:

SUEX1_Bass_PS.jpg