Which light dilema, you decide

Lightman2

Enlightened
So after spending hours looking at reviews but mainly the beam shots from light-reviews.com I think I have my best picks to buy for 1 x AAA, 2 x AAA, 1 x AA, 2 x AA and here they are.
1/. AAA x 1 Fenix LD01 or Eagletac PN20A decided on Fenix LD01
2/. AAA x 2 47's Preon 2 or Eagletac PN20A2 decided on Preon 2
3/. AA x 1 Fenix LD15 or Eagletac P10A decided on Eagletac P10A
4/. AA x 2 Fenix LD20 or Eagletac P20A2 MKII decided on Eagletac P20A2 MKII

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy them all at once.

Buy one, use it for a while, and decide if the reasoning you used to pick that particular light was valid reasoning. You may find that things that you thought were important when reading reviews turn out to not really be all that important to you once you're holding the light. Also, you may discover that there are things that are important to you that you weren't aware of when doing your initial research.

For instance, many of those lights that you've listed require fiddling with the bezel as part of the UI. Personally, I can't stand UIs that required 2 hands to operate, but I didn't know that when I bought my first quality light (neutral Quark AA).

--flatline

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with flatline, don't buy them all at once.

I can't stand lights that can't change modes in a relaxed underhand grip. To twist a bezel is easy one handed, even in a overhand grip. To reach the rear clicky in a underhand grip is close to impossible, and you will have to change to a overhand grip to change modes.. Forward clicky for momentary activation, and bezel twist for mode change is my prefered ui. There is no universal "best ui" so you have to find out what you like by trial and error.
Buy one of each and see what you like the best :)

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi McNair...... just trying to get some opinions on my choices before I splash out with the money as I have never owned a Fenix or Eagletac. The more feedback the better the final decision. What's yours.

Seems you answered your own request.:shakehead

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A couple of more good choices:

AA ~ JetBeam RRT-0

2AAA ~ Fenix LD05

The RRT-0 is a great all-around AA light that can take a CR123 cell simply by removing the extender.

The Fenix is a bit bigger and longer than your average 2AAA penlight. But it's robust, and works well. Tailcap switch is also better than on the 4Sevens Preon II model. (I took the tailcap off my Preon II and replaced it with the flat one from my Preon 1 model.)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are great lights, but if I were buying 4 lights I'd pick four different companies with different emitters or tints ;)
I'd get a Fenix, a Quark, an Eagletac and a Thrunite Nuetron.
Don't get me wrong, I do by multiples of the brands I like, but the output and uses should be as different as possible.
Goodluck

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Neutron... The Neutron series has a beautiful, properly driven XM-L beam... Huge hotspot with gradual transition to spill... lockout tailcap... .9 lumen moonlight mode, strobe if you need it (but won't get accessed unless you mean to)... great UI... superb construction... affordable....

Buy one...