Advise on first build

Mustangous

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this flashlightoholic...lol, but I got the bug and i am starting to spend a few bucks. I would like to build a few lights. I can get all the cr123 batteries I want so i would like to build a light using them. I'm pretty amazed at how efficent and bright the fenix tk-35 is using the xm-l Led. Between the XM-l and the SST-90, which is more efficient and/or Bight?I see the a lot of lights using the XM-L Led's, but what such the big range of lumens, why is that?

I have a bunch of the old Streamlight Scorpions incadencent lights still in the packages and would like to convert or mod to some high power LED's if possible.I gotta say, there is an enormous amount of information and lights to choose from that makes everything much more confusing and overwelming.... lol I'm looking for some pocket sized lights to start building. Can i use the streamlight scorpions as a host or should i go with a solarforce L2 something?
Any suggestions?

yazovyet

Enlightened
I'm a little new myself... but this is what i know about XM-L and sst 90. LEDs in general shodul be fed with current regulated circuits, so the circuit will provide whatever voltage and keep the current constant (prevents thermal runaway and LEDs have a small range of voltage between bright and blown). looking at their specs pages they both say somehting along the lines of 'over 100 lumnes per watt' at their mid-range amperage.
""I see the a lot of lights using the XM-L Led's, but what such the big range of lumens, why is that?"" - differnt manufacturers spec and measure differently. also some might be driven with less current, thus leading to less light output, this could be done for thermal or battery drain reasons.

the xml maxes out at around 1000 lumens when given ~3.7 volts and 3000 miliamps, and can be bought for ~12 dollars. theres a new "u2" bin that is slightly brighter than the T6 bin. it doesnt show up in this link.
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf

the SST-90 uses some number of volts near 3 or 4 but can be fed 9000 mA. and produce up to ~2250 lumens at that voltage/amperage, but they cost 35+ (only took a quick look at them so you might find better).
http://www.luminus.com/stuff/conten...14a96b032/misc/pds_001342_sst_90_w_rev_05.pdf

so you have to decide if you want to have top level light, cost, thermal disapation and heat sinking (needed), and energy useage in the SSt-90 or go with something cheaper, less bright, less hot, less battery draining.

also consider the driver. finding something at 3 amps (3000mA) isnt too hard but finding something at 9amps is, so if you wanted 9 amps you might need to put 3x3amps together (parallel output i think). but again, 3 times the cost and power usage.

edited to have correct amperage on xml after being pointed out by the next poster

Last edited:

Mustangous

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. So it seem that they dont make a XML 3 mode drop in for 2'cr123's???

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stangous,

Yes there are 3-mode XML drop-ins made for running 2X CR123 [6V max]. However, what you're referring to is more fully described as a P60 drop-in, which is a complete Light Engine [LE] package made to "drop-in" to SureFire 6P and similar designed hosts. If the Scorpion takes a P60 then you can buy any P60 and it will fit [more or less]. OTOH, if the Scorpion uses a different LE design you'd need to find or make a LE assembly to fit correctly. I'll recommend that you run a search for the entire CPF site for "streamlight scorpion mods'. If previous Scorpion work has been discussed it may save you LOTS of time and effort. Good luck.

Mustangous

Newly Enlightened
Stangous,

Yes there are 3-mode XML drop-ins made for running 2X CR123 [6V max]. However, what you're referring to is more fully described as a P60 drop-in, which is a complete Light Engine [LE] package made to "drop-in" to SureFire 6P and similar designed hosts. If the Scorpion takes a P60 then you can buy any P60 and it will fit [more or less]. OTOH, if the Scorpion uses a different LE design you'd need to find or make a LE assembly to fit correctly. I'll recommend that you run a search for the entire CPF site for "streamlight scorpion mods'. If previous Scorpion work has been discussed it may save you LOTS of time and effort. Good luck.
Great. That is for the reply. I have a few light coming in and I'll have to see where that leaves me. I got the bug a little bit and have been ordering a little too much. Lol