Finish problems? Solutions?

BarryG

Enlightened
I'm sure some of you are like me and your EDC's start to wear through the finish. What options are there for worn anodizing? Is it better to strip it down to the Aluminum or try to paint them? Would it be worth it to have them coated? I know when I look in the marketplace and check out the pics that I always prefer 'like new to users'. Even my Surefire's have shown wear from pocket carry.

Just wondering...
Barry

USRobinson

Newly Enlightened
abit off topic I know... but since we are talking about worn anodizng, rather than posting a new thread I thought I see if anyone here has some tip for my problem. I have a 16 year old boat with a black anodized toe rail. Most of the anodizing has worn off and I'd like to remove or cover the remaining spots without unmounting the extrusion from the deck.

Any ideas on a way to remove the remaining black anodize spots in place and what would be a good flat paint (white or black) to repaint the rail rather than reanodizing it?

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
I don't know why I didn't think of it before....
Buy a box of Sharpie's and I'm set for years!!!

Barry

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
A cheap alternative would be Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II... You could sand out the nicks, kinda rough up the whole light and spray it down... I bet it would work fine...

Shao

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
*If* it's a light with a black finish and you just have a little nick, I've found that black appliance touch-up paint will make the nick go away. Just the right color/surface texture. It won't cure large scratches. Those big dings are called *personality.*

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just use bondo for the big dings! I can already see a slew of bondoed alumahyded lights going up for sale in the MP now...