Service pack 1.....disappearing icons

TheBeam

Enlightened
I have downloaded msft service pack 1, restarted my computer, and noticed that all my icons were gone. The start button was not there either. I had to hold down the off button then restart, used another screen name to start up, and delete sp1. What should I do?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Not that long ago, my Windows XP Home system decided it needed an update, so it downloaded 30MB or 40MB (a real pain in the toliet muscle on a dial-up connection) and then installed it. I think it was Service Pack 1, but I could be wrong.

After it said I needed to reboot to finish the installation, all of my icons disappeared too, but after waiting 15 minutes or so, they all came back by themselves.

If you install SP1 again, try waiting awhile to see if the icons come back by themselves. Give it 15-30 minutes.

If they don't, the heck with it. Do what you did before to remove it, and don't screw with it again until or unless you find out otherwise.

TheBeam

Enlightened
Mr. Museum, thanks for your help. I just sat on my toilet muscle and after a while, it fixed itself.

dark star

Enlightened
Yesterday I installed service pack 1 - now my machines is slower and it locked up twice ( which it never did before ).
Thanks Microsoft !

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
TheBeam said:
Mr. Museum, thanks for your help. I just sat on my toilet muscle and after a while, it fixed itself.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're more than welcome...now get off your toliet muscle and start screwing with some flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TheBeam

Enlightened
dark star,
Did you try uninstalling it to see if it that fixed anything?

LED M.
Advice taken.