NE blizzard 1/4/18

wweiss

Enlightened
Cold it was in CT - -8 with 50mph howling wind - 12" with 2' drifts.
All my lights worked well in this weather - threw the hot ones (ZL SC600 WIII HI on HI & S2R Baton on HI) in the snow to cool them - got longer run-times....

I've always wondered how in the heck you guys heat your homes when such cold weather is upon you. Also, what constitutes warm? 65 degrees inside? Is that a temperature that's reachable. I've never experienced such cold weather as some of you are currently having.

It's 44 degrees outside and my son has the house temp at 73. He loves the pellet stove.

~ Chance

...... So does the cat.

dqmru5K.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I keep it at 69-70 deg when I'm home, 62-63 at night and when I'm gone. Some people really crank it up, 75 or more, especially older folks, but I'm young and tough and I'd rather spend money on flashlights than gas. Bahaha. [emoji6]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We ended up with 3-4" of frozen dust in my area as I was on the far western edge. 20 miles west had stars overhead...
To my east 25-75 miles got plastered. The coast got it too but a warm Atlantic influence gave them good snow man making stuff... and lots of it.

That afternoon the air turned colder than usual below the Mason Dixon line. It was 1 digit... with a + in front so we were happy.....

Lakes and creeks froze by Saturday, which is unusual. Now Thursday while it was still snowing folks went out to their usual places... so our 3-4" of frozen powder was 3/4" of hard packed ice by sundown.
Plows are useless. All they can do is place sand for traction when temps fall below 20. And by Monday things were still pretty white. Not much asphalt showing except insterstates and major roads.
Folks were pounding their fists on desks and podiums that schools were still closed. Why isn't the pavement clean they hollered...By sundown Monday a warm front had arrived and lots of roads had thawed greatly but....

All that melt was now the dreaded black ice. (I nearly wiped out a bunch of times heading to work and I'm used to driving in bad conditions)
Folks were pounding their fists on desks and podiums that those idiots had opened the schools with all that ice...

We keep our home on 68 in the winter. Everybody gets new bedroom slippers for Christmas. And by spring everybody needs a new pair... long sleeves and long pants are the norm.

Since I work outdoors 68 doesn't knock me down when I get home on winter afternoons and 12 doesn't feel quite as shocking when leaving. But one morning last week I left without long John's on and Woo!!... I thought I'd forgot to put my pants on breifly... turbo winds. Brrrrrr.

Glad everybody's doin' ok in the NE.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
nbp, Does your furnace cycle on and off, or does it run constantly to maintain 70 deg? Concerning when it's cold-cold.

~ Cg

It does cycle but it certainly kicks on more often. For example when it was eight below zero at night last week it would only take maybe an hour and a half for the temperature to drop from 70° to 62° in the evening when the heat dropped down. Then it would kick on for minute or two a couple times per hour through the night to maintain 62°. Tonight when it is in the 40s overnight the heat probably won't kick on at all until morning because the house will cool so much more slowly.

There is no Mrs. NBP so I can get away with keeping the house cooler than my buddies with women or kids in the house. Hahaha