Hello from a newbie and advice needed please

alimac23

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm completely new to the flashlight world having only ever owned really cheap lights back in the UK, i moved to Australia in 2008 and still didn't really have anything to do with them until i bought a Gerber Clutch multitool that came with a free Gerber Tempo flashlight which i've really enjoyed using, before i owned this i used to use the light emitted from my iPhone screen if i needed to do anything in the dark which was obviously not great!

I am looking for some advice on what would be a good all round / camping torch, for someone with little experience there certainly seems to be a lot of choice and some pointers in where to start would be greatly appreciated!

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
The problem you will run into right away is which battery do you want to run? There are different options with different chemistries, some of which are fraught with peril for the inexperienced operator. Many people new to flashlights start out with AA battery lights - there are many different AA batteries ranging from acceptable performance (alkaline) to high performance (lithium primary) to steady performance (rechargeable Nimh). Plus AA batteries are nearly universally available. If you like that battery, then you will probably want an AA2 light for output, size, and especially run-time. I would suggest you do some cpf searches for AA2 LED lights. You'll find a myriad of choices, but the popular ones are popular here for good reason - 4Sevens, Fenix, Eagletac, ThruNite, Nitecore, iTP are just some examples. Once you've done some research on these brands you'll have a better idea of what questions to ask. Good luck!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy alimac23 and welcome to CPF.

Here you go:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277224-The-Welcome-Mat-a-FAQ

You will find a LOT of helpful information there. Skim it and don't worry about the technical stuff to much, but try to become familiar with the CPF "lingo". That will help you understand what we are talking about.

I think Joe had some good advice in his post. One of my first serious lights was a Fenix L2d CE, which is a 2 cell AA light. I still use it almost every night on my bicycle on my way home from work.

There is no easy answer to your question, as everybody here has somewhat different needs from their lights..... which of course is why there are so many different lights to choose from.

Be prepared to spend some time becoming familiar with the various areas of CPF, especially the Reviews, LED lights, and Electronics-Batteries Included areas, and read, read, read.

CPF is wonderful resource. Learn how to use the Google Search box at the top left of most pages.... it will help you find what you are interested in.

Good luck and have fun!

dellayao

Newly Enlightened
Hi Alimac,
I've just receive a camping torch light as a present. I'm just back from May Day trip, and I should say the torch is really fantastic. The light focus well and the lighting beam is strong. It helped a lot when I was camping. Here is the pic, you may find on ebay.
[reference and link removed - DM51]

L-RX1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joe1512

Enlightened
My advice is to go with a light that uses AAs or AAAs. This way you avoid all problems of specialty batteries and chargers. Yes the special ones are more efficient, but the AA ones work great too.

A keychain light is really convenient and a 1xAAA one is pretty small and puts out a good deal of light. This is quite sufficient for general purpose needs and has come in very handy for me.

I would look into the Fenix TK41? or something. It uses 8xAAs and the latest XM-L emitter. Expensive but one of the best performers using normal batteries.
A cheaper version that is still quite good is the itp A6 Polestar which you should be able to find on sale for half the price.
Note that the TK45 is actually a slightly older model with 3 smaller emitters instead of 1 bigger one.

Then, pick up some Sanyo Eneloops with charger which are rechargable AA/AAA batteries with low self discharge. THis means that unlike most rechargables, they dont lose near as much charge over time. So 3 month later, they still have most of their charge whereas a NiCad is dead.

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
Hi there,well welcome to CPF. As Joe has suggested stay with well liked brands here such as 47's, Eagletac, Thrunite, Fenix, Zebra, ITP, Nitecore, Jetbeam. You will note most of us here talk about edc lights which means every day carry and youwill not find anyone offering a large orange or yellow plastic light for your trip. The lights we talk about here because they are every day carry are typically small lights that can usually but not always fit inside the pocket or bug out bag and are made of aluminium or titanium (also called ti lights). There are many things for you to consider and as suggested the more time on CPF the moré you will learn and read up about to then finally be educated enough to make a wise choice. Glad you are staying with normal cells (battery) options and I would suggest AA lights which allow use of alkaline, lithium and rechargeable(NiMH's) that way you can use cheapies in the light when you're on travel and revert back to eco friendly cells upon your return. Note that many lights talked about have two modes or a combination of two modes of operation. First is usually either a rear clicky which is a push in/out button at the rear of the light or a bezel operated light which requires you turning the head to activate.Some lights offer both so you turn the light on at the rear and then change modes via the front bezel. Keep in mind lights that use the front bezel to turn on will require the use of two hands which means they will not be that useful if you are carrying a lot of thing around camp at the same time you want toturn your light off and on. Many here are not that keen (or don't appear to be)with sos and beacons however I feel they are very worthy if you are really outdoors. They work great as a marker light for hanging inside a tent or from apack when you are hiking at dusk etc. It saves on battery power which is a must if you are outdoors. To get a light with all features such as sos, beacon andstrobe you may be (I stand to be corrected) have to stick with 47's and Fenix.Try and get a light that is user friendly and probably for you reasonably simple as there are a heap of lights that come with all manner of features thatwill blow your mind (well for a few minutes anyway). Also to note is that the lights with a rear button will require an overhand grip to operate properly asyou have to use your thumb to activate the rear push button. Some lights offe ra side button like the Zebra series which are easier (IMHO) to use but may not fit with what you are doing. Some of the things you have to consider are runtimes, illumination levels (lumens), length of the light, switch operation,modes of light available etc etc. The more you stay around and have a look thewiser your choice will be to get the right light. I wouldn't worry about price just get the light that fits the job and pay the money. Being too thrifty will cheat you out of what you really need.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF :welcome: not sure what you prefer size wise, for pocket carry I like AA single cell lights, like;
Crelant 7G1, thrunite Neutron 1A, 4sevens Quark AA, nitecore D11.2 are all well made and bright for there size.
At work a two cell light is better for longer runtimes.

There's a survey floating about would help us gauge; size, price range, beam profile (flood or throw), battery type, clip type, etc

Again welcome to CPF, have a great day :thumbsup:

dss_777

Enlightened
When I hear "camping" I almost automatically think "headlamp". Having both hands free is so often useful that I'd suggest it should be the first choice of light for camping.

In the end, intended use drives the decision train, or at least it does in the beginning. After that, the sky's the limit.

Cheers!

AlPal

Newly Enlightened
When I hear "camping" I almost automatically think "headlamp". Having both hands free is so often useful that I'd suggest it should be the first choice of light for camping.

In the end, intended use drives the decision train, or at least it does in the beginning. After that, the sky's the limit.

Cheers!

Headlamps are very useful for camping. Have a look at the Zebralights. Their very popular with most of the members here. I have my first Zebralight on order, and should arrive this week. So right now I can not give a user reveiw.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Stick with AA powered Lights, Get Some Eneloop Batteries and a good charger.
I suggets get a zebralight H51 headlamp and another handheld light (for throw).

carrot

Flashaholic
You seem in need of some general information. A lot of really good information is posted in General Flashlight Discussion as a sticky: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-General-Flashlight-Forum-Threads-of-interest

I've also written a guide to high-end lights to help you get started. You'll find the link to that below, in my signature.

For camping I would recommend you check out a headlamp, as they are immensely more useful than a regular flashlight. Depending on your budget you could look at something as simple as the Petzl Tikka 2, a bit higher up to the Princeton Tec EOS, or all the way up to the Rolls Royce of general purpose headlamps, the Surefire Saint.