Quick and Cheap LED Color-changing Mod

JNieporte

Enlightened
I picked this little trick up in the military, but I figured it could be useful here. What I'm doing is changing the color of my light's LED. This will work on any LED, but I've used two examples. Basically, I'm using fingernail polish to color the bulb (or lens).

Preparation: Do this first and you'll have better results. Using a flattened cotton swab (Q-tip) apply rubbing alcohol to the surface (either the LED bulb itself, or the lens). Let it dry. Apply petroleum jelly to any areas you think might inadvertantly get nail polish on (reflector, lens housing, etc.)

Application: Let the rubbing alcohol dry. Apply the nail polish in long strokes, going linear. Try to get it on there fast, as the nail polish dries quickly. To make a more even job, turn the light while blowing (lightly!) on the nail polish already applied. Do a little at a time, as you can always apply more if the tint isn't where you want it.

Finish: After the nail polish has dried (about 8 minutes for mine) lightly rub the petroleum jelly off with a cotton cloth. You're done.

Streamlight MicroStream:
DSCF8018.jpg

Note: Beamshots were done on a white wall, about six feet away.

Stock:
DSCF8020.jpg

Red lens:
DSCF8021.jpg

Streamlight Nano (You can see where the petroleum jelly was applied to prevent the nail polish from staying on the reflector. This came off after shooting the photo.)
DSCF8019.jpg

Stock:
DSCF8022.jpg

Red LED bulb:
DSCF8023.jpg

Last edited: