Can I get more throw in a P60 than my Cree R2, but with similar size hotspot?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently use a P60 host (just a cheap Ultrafire WF-501B) mounted under-barrel on my .22Lr rabbiting gun.

This has a Cree R2 (XR-E) emitter which has quite a small hotspot, so throws quite well. The beam divergence is a good match for the scope field of view so works well without wasting lots of light where it is of no use.

What I am looking for is a replacement P60 module which will give me more light on the target, not just more light, but not as throwy as an aspheric set-up.

The new XML modules sound quite good, but several people have said they are similar to the P7 without the beam imperfections, however this means they will be more floody than I would need.

Despite this, will they give me more light on the target?

Is there a better choice to give me a similar size hotspot as the R2, but with more light?

ruger-tactical.jpg

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I would recommend you to stick to the xr-e r2 and go for a bigger reflector (something like the ultrafire c8 host) for more throw, and if you then want more light swap it for an xp-g or even xm-l.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The answer is basically no. The XR-E R2 has the highest surface brightness (or maybe XP-E R2) so without an aspheric or a larger reflector the spot isn't going to be brighter and if you do use those methods the hotspot will get smaller which isn't what you want.

The other choices (XM-L or whatever) will give you a bigger hotspot but it won't be as bright and therefore won't throw as far.

If you want to hunt rabbits from a greater distance than you currently are able to do then you'll have to make due with a smaller hotspot.

You also mention the P60 so no there is no way to get more throw in a P60 than with your current emitter. You could drive it harder but I'm sure that's counterproductive.

Last edited:

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
Give the Solarforce XPG R5 with the smooth reflector...lots of throw for the price (like $11 US on their site). I was pretty surprised at just how much this one puts out.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
If you can get a Palight C8 with an XP-G to fit under that barrel, it will do it.
The reflector is much wider though, but that makes it a nicely focused spotlight. About $18