Fuji 3v CR123A battery recall

Sprocketman

Newly Enlightened
CPSC released this on September 25th
------------------------------------

Name of product: Fuji Power and A&T Fuji Power CR123A 3-volt lithium batteries originally provided with Galls® H.A.L.O. Tactical Flashlight.

Units: Approximately 10,084

Distributor: Galls Inc., of Lexington, Kentucky

Hazard: The batteries originally provided with the flashlight may overheat or explode presenting a potential for fire or personal injury.

Incidents/Injuries: Five reports of batteries overheating or exploding have been received, causing minor injuries such as burns and minor property damage from fire.

Description: The batteries were provided in pairs. Each is a 3-volt lithium battery with a white label. The name "Fugi Power" or "A&T Fuji Power CR123A" is on the label.

Sold at: Galls catalog, Galls website www.galls.com and retail stores in Lexington, KY; Long Beach, CA; Riverside, CA; San Diego, CA; Orange County, CA; and Signal Hill, CA, from June 2001 through May 2003. The flashlight sold individually for about $49 and when bundled with other items for up to $99.

Manufactured in: Taiwan.

Remedy: Call Galls toll-free at 1-800-477-7766 to receive free replacement batteries for each pair of batteries originally received with your Galls® H.A.L.O. Tactical Flashlight purchased prior to June 2003. If you have already replaced the batteries (Galls recommends that Duracell Ultra 123 3-volt lithium replacement batteries be used), Galls will provide an equivalent credit ($10.99 for each pair of Fuji Power or A&T Fuji Power lithium batteries) that can be redeemed towards the purchase of any other merchandise ordered from Galls.

Consumer Contact: Call Galls customer service representatives toll-free at (800) 477-7766 Monday through Friday, 7 am to midnight ET, Saturday and Sunday 9 am to 9 pm ET.

Press release number: 03-195

To link to this press release or to see a picture: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03195.html

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
BOTH of our Minolta cameras have these batteries in them. What about that? I don't want to expose the film by opening the backs of the things, but I think maybe I can get to the battery without opening the back. (I'll have to look.) I don't want the d### things to explode that close to our faces! Well, I reckon it's better safe than sorry.<sigh>
I'd better take the chance on exposing the film and get these batteries out.

Will

Kentucky Rifle

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the model numbers Dave. The cameras are with our vacation gear. They're both TINY Minoltas with long zooms. (especially mine.) I'll look tonight though.

Will

Saaby

Flashaholic
They make cameras that require you to expose the film to change the battery? That's lame!

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Hey KR,
Go to a photo shop and have them remove the batteries using a "dark bag" No joking, they have light proof fabric bags, generally like two light proof bags, one inside the other that have elastic bands. You put the camera in the bag, replacement batteries or film, then put your hands in the bag. Do what needs to be done, them take the camera etc. out. They'd probably do it either for free or very inexpensively. Especially after you let them know about the battery recall.

Best,
Lighthouse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

ps Enjoyed seeing your sig line, it's something that I tell my students.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have something very UNscientific to report re: 123s.

I have a cell wrapped in electrical tape, that was harvested from a 223 batt. Actually I have both of them.

I tried one that was acting dead in my TT1L. It will just barely tickle the xenon bulb, but lights the LEDs up pretty good.

So the TT1L is perfect for using DEAD 123s.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never in my life seen a camera that you can't change the batteries in separately from the film. Look on the bottom of the camera, there should be a little door that pops open (maybe with a coin slotted screw holding it shut) to let you change the battery.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
You haven't seen some of the Olympus cameras. A few actually have the Lithium Cells soldered in. Not only did you have to take the film out, you had to partially dis-assemble the camera!

Hogosha

Newly Enlightened
After review of the post on the Dorcy AAA Led being possible made by the folks who put out the UZI line of flashlights, I went looking. The Galls HALO light the the batteries came with is no doubt just a re-labled UZI light. And for the price, not a very good light. I have 2, which are destined for better things. No pic on the galls website, but they are the same.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4175&Category=877
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FL280

Defectfully
Patrick