2 AA thrower? Do they exist?

beast1210

Newly Enlightened
I realize what Im asking, but I am looking a descent thrower as a backup for my headlamp during wildland fire season. Something to check tree tops, etc. Has to run on AA's. I own a TK40 but I would like to keep the weight/bulk down in my pack. Found the Quark 2AA turbo, are there any better, or that I missed. Thanks

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello beast1210 and :welcome:

I'd recommend the Quark 2AA Turbo. I have one, and really like it for a 2xAA thrower. Another one to consider is the Dereelight Javelin. It is 2XAA with an R5 LED in it. I have read that it out-throws the Quark a little. Still though, I like the fact that the Quark Turbo can lego with my other quarks. Here's a link to the Javelin - ClickHere

If you need more output & more throw then you will need to move up to lithium & Li-ion rechargeable lights. I'd recommend the new Quark 123x2 Turbo X. It uses two CR123's, or 2 RCR123 Li-ion rechargeables, or even better yet one 176670 Li-ion rechargeable. This thing is tiny, and is incredibly bright with amazing throw. Check it out - ClickHere

Last edited:

Lightman2

Enlightened
I do not know about the Javelin as I don't have one but I do have the Eagletac P20A2 MK II which offers 340 lumens at the emiiter and from what I found had the best throw for a 2 x AA light. It also has some great drop in module options for upgrades and some hidden modes (sos, strobe and beacon). Worth looking at and any questions chat with Tod from Illuminationgear as he is really up with the play on these lights .... http://www.illuminationgear.com/8601.html

uknewbie

Banned
Wolf Eyes Krait. R2, 220 lumens, 2 x AA, flood to spot adjustable ashperic. I just got one seems very good.

Nachtwacht

Newly Enlightened
Hello beast1210,

Since you're familiar with Fenix, the TK20 also has pretty good throw for a 2AA light.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
Quark turbo! Great Runtime and throws great for such a small light. I've read that the Dereelight Javelin is comparable, but that the circuitry is not as efficient and the runtime suffers. I don't have both to compare, but i can say the quark runs for a LONG time. I suppose if you had a 3AA body for the Javelin it would be a moot point! I dig the quark though. Mine is an R5 emitter and I think the color is great. Only slightly green on moonlight mode. You really cant go wrong with this light.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
the javelin, eagletac, and quark turbo's are your best bets imo.

the versatility of the javelin is amazing if you get the extensions and c2h body.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I had the quark turbo s2 aa. Sold it a while ago due to the tint but i liked it. My eagletac p20a2 r2 i feel throws further. I prefer my eagletac -the UI.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TK20 is a great light, especially for those that like neutral tint lights. With the Q2 LED, it is 150 lumens (not quite as bright as the newer cool white versions,) but if you are tired of cool white lights then this one may be worth considering. Here's a link to Fenix's website showing some beamshots of the TK20 - ClickHere

If you want a light that is brighter & are ok with cool white then the Quark Turbo AA2 is my favorite 2xAA thrower.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tk20 seems to throw slightly better than the quark turbo. It got less lumens, but more throw.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tk20 seems to throw slightly better than the quark turbo. It got less lumens, but more throw.

Makes since with the smaller Q2 LED. My older lights with the older & smaller LED's throw better than some of my newer lights with the larger but brighter LED's.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have (or had) the Quark Turbo 2AA, Javelin, Fenix tk20, EagleTac P20A2 & P100A2, Fenix LD20, LD25, and a few other 2 AA P60 lights (Malkoff, etc). The Javelin throws better than them all. The only close ones are the quark Turbo and EageTac P100A2 (the P20A2 is too floody and does not have near the throw). I also have a neutral XP-E drop-in for My Javelin and that throws well also. An XR-E drop-in for it will throw even better. As I recall it will do about 8k lux with the XP-G and 10k lux with the XR-E. Again, it does not compare to the throw of larger lights but for a 2AA light it throws well.

bkumanski

Enlightened
For a true "thrower", you could ala carte a Dereelight. Javelin body, Javelin pill, and a DBS head. They all work together. You get DBS throw, Javelin body and batteries. Jay at flashlight connection has all the pieces separately too.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the R5 or the R2 P20A2? My p20a2 mark 1 seems to out throw the quark turbo s2 I had.
The UI is so bad on my P20A2 Mark 1 that I realized it's starting to make me search again for another AA thrower.
So I got a P100A2 R2.

Last edited: