Good thrower required - sugestions?

andyr

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm after a good LED thrower.

Need sometyhing to burn the leaves off the trees at 500 paces :naughty:

Have seen the Maelstrom S1800 but can't find it for sale in the UK :-(

Any suggestions similar to the above would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Is there a specific brand/battery type/LED/price range you were after? If you want to use the XML LED, then you'll need a fairly large reflector to throw a beam, on the other hand, the XPG LED will give you a very nice throw with a usable spill beam too, although raw lumens will be less. I personally love my Armytek Predator, very solid throw with a deep reflector, nice tint (now availble in neutral and warm tints if you were so inclined) and has lots of modes. 4Sevens will ship worldwide for free by the way, so whatever lights they have availble, you should be able to get it sent to you through the mail; I've had excellent experiences with 4Sevens, the customer service is great and easy to work with if you have any troubles.
I'm not the most experienced guy, but I hope I helped a little bit!
Cheers.

andyr

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks.

Budget is not a worry, pref able to run on CR123 batteries as I have a nice little stock of them at home.

This is to add to my small (but perfectly formed) collection of a Fenix P3d adn Olight M21 Warrior.

Cheers,

Andy

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Thrunite catapult XM-L if you want to go the XM-L route. It will give you a wider beam and more spill then an XR-E/Xp-E thrower, while still throwing a long way. There are several choices in the XR-E/XP-E category, such as the Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I have a bunch of great throwers, the Olight SR90 is the king but it is very heavy and expensive. My personal favorite thrower is the Jetbeam M1Xm. It outthrows pretty much everything else on the market except for the Thrunite Catapult V3, which is tested to throw a very little bit further. Both can run on four CR123's and are about $150 each.

cowboydelux

Newly Enlightened
Do they still make the Surefire beast? I don't remember seeing it in their new catalog.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
If the Tk41 isn't enough of a thrower for you, you might have to visit the HID forum instead and spend some really big money.

Bronco

Enlightened
You might consider the Lambdalights VaraPower 2000. It's a Mag 3D platform modded with an SST-90 emitter and a very slick infinitely adjustable switch. Go with the de-domed emitter option for max throw. It's not waterproof and it does get warm fairly fast when run at full power, but it's a real face melter and definitely wins the 'wolf in sheep's clothing' award.

I can also highly recommend the aforementioned Thrunite Catapult V3. With only half the lux, and less than half the total lumen output, of the VaraPower 2K, it can't hang with the larger Lambdalight. But its throw is still extremely impressive compared to just about any other production LED torch you might find in the under $150 category, and it's extremely versatile with a variety of battery and body length configurations possible.

Last edited: