Idea: Putting Nichia ring around LS

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I was wondering if it's possible to put a a ring of Nichias (may be 3 x 3mm versions) around the LS and behind the optics (since the optics is shaped like a cone)? That should create an all-LED version of A2, though less powerful.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes this is a very good idea, and one of our premier modders here has already DONE IT, here is one of several pics at that link:

LED-on.jpg

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
MR BULK,

My idea is kind of differnt from Don's implementation. Don put the Nichia ring around the reflector. I suggested putting the ring BEHIND the optics without adding to the diameter of the bezel.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
MR Bulk,

Yes and No. The arrangement is similar to A2 that adds smaller LEDs to the main light source without adding extra diameter to the bezel (unlike Don's creation). It differs from A2 as A2's LEDs are exposed through cut-outs in the reflector while my proposal puts the Nichias behind complete, uncut optics and around the LS.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. I've never played with the optics, but it seems the light from the smaller LEDs would be badly unfocussed and useful only at very short range.

Paul

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you drilled them all the way through to where they were exposed.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Alan,

I looked at what you are suggesting witha 30 mm optic. I got the feeling from holding some LED's behind and to the side of the optic that the light that did get out would be in some very strange and artifacty beam patterns. I also think much of the light will be reflected off the optic and into the wall of the head. Admittidly, I never did do a build so this is mostly guessing.

- Don

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
Don,

I also tried out the concept with NX-05 with an ARC AAA as the light source. The beam was indeed full of artifacts. However I am proposing putting 3 smaller Nichias (3mm) around the LS at the right angle (both vertically and horizontally), which may reduce the artifacts so as to make the beam useful in close range. Combined with HD LS, low profile Fraen optics and a variant of the intelligent Kroll Nukiez is working on, the arrangement may be able to create a small (1x123 ARC LS-sized) flashlight with both longer-range throw and short-range spread.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Alan,

Placement will make a big difference and I hope there is a good viable solution for you, it would be great. The light Charlie showed above is still one of my favorite lights! The dual beams are ideal, IMHO.

- Don