"distressed"

Kingfisher

Enlightened
With getting a brand new D11 v2, I thought my old D10 was looking a bit dated, so I tried to make it look older and a bit different by giving it a new look with some fine wet/dry. I believe the more artistic amongst us call it "distressed"

Has anyone else tried it? I kinda like it.

What do you think?

distress002.jpg

distress001.jpg

maskman

Newly Enlightened
No I've never tried it, but I kinda like it too. The distressed or weathered look is quite becoming to the D10. Good photos by the way.

bansuri

Enlightened
Beautiful! That would be a nice method to even out a beater with random scuffs and dings giving it a more consistent finish.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll be doing this to my spare Quark today, I have some 1000 grit laying around. Looks GREAT!

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Like bansuri noted, it evens out random scuuffs and dings. Gives it a WW2 look methinks.

I've done the same on a Benchmade 520 - but that looks like a Zebra :laughing:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Very nice! What grit did you use? It's like the patina on a fine antique!

Just had a look and can only make out 'P2' - so at a guess I'd say 220? I used it worn and wet with liquid soap, going a bit lighter over the lettering, going harder over edges.

Napalm

Enlightened
How would you achieve a "cracked smoked milk paint" look on one lol? Like the kitchen cupboards that are in such high demand nowadays?

Nap.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
I love it! What grit sandpaper did you use? I've never tried doing that on a light and I'd love to know the process.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hijack your thread - but no amount of fine grit sandpaper will fix this:

IMG_0866.JPG

That's what I call distressed!

Yours does look very cool though :D

Kingfisher

Enlightened
On the contrary, that's just the kind of condition that would benefit from a good ol' distressing!

Start off with something a tad rougher and then go finer........what have you got to loose?

Last edited:

Kingfisher

Enlightened
How would you achieve a "cracked smoked milk paint" look on one lol? Like the kitchen cupboards that are in such high demand nowadays?

Nap.

Funny you should say that..I used to do that for a living!! ....PM sent

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks great.
Many years ago I took some 400 grit wet/dry to the bottom smooth portion of an old black Mag!ite so I could find it in the dark easier.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must be one heck of a coarse sandpaper. :D
\

:crackup:Seems like 5-10 grit. ...Or maybe just some really coarse leg hair sticking through the pocket

Love the look on your light, op... you sure you want to carry the new one, now?

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
At what point does it go from sandpaper to rock-paper [scissors]? Just curious... :)

I too, like the worn finish on that D10, well done.