MiniMag help needed?

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys I have kind of a weird question is it possible to setup the mini mag lite with the nite ize led so that u can tightenthe head all the way down and still not have it turn off?

Also can u guys please post me some links to sites that sell led upgrades what I would love is an led upgrade that has the head tightened all the way down and produces as tight of a beam pattern as possible while running on 2x14500 or if that batt choice is not possible then just the energizer ultimate outbound somewhere in the 150-200 lumen range would be good

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it doesn't turn off when the head is tightened, are you getting the nite-ize click tailcap?
I'm not certain without looking more closely at my minimag but you could try putting an o-ring or glob a little solder on
The thread at the sweet spot to stop the head from tightening all the way. And stoping were you want it. (I'd hold off until you find your dropin)
Not sure on the dropin that produces 200 lumens but I'm sure that there are modders on this site that could build one. The custom modified discussion area is full of capable peeps.

The minimag pro may come out later this year, before you dump to much money into your existing you may want to consider that. I've seen two cool minmag mods while I've been here, one had quark head innards frankensteined into a minimag, and the other was a triple xpg build. Neither could be focused afaik

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
Yes to the nite ize switch i use it religiously on my MM. I def don't want any focusing just a nice hotspot and a little sidespill but mostly hotspot is what I am looking for. What will be the difference with the MiniMag Pro and MiniMag LED or MiniMag Regular?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The minimag has a problem when you try to put in a too powerful drop-in. At the top of the body the part that says do not remove is plastic. Plastic do not transfer heat well from the LED to the body. The heat generated by the LED is trapped and heat kills LEDs. Not a problem with the lower powered LEDs but you will run into problems with the brighter one.
See this thread for what happens.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?179123-TLE-5EX-Issues
If you do get the tle-5ex do the washer mod BEFORE you fry the LED.
2*14500 gives 8.4V hot off the charger and will burn out the LED upgrades. Melt the reflector and lens too!

It may be better to simply buy a new light like the minimag XL50 (3AAA). $29.99. 104 lumens 145M throw.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...aglite-XL50-Just-Got-One-Somewhat-of-a-Review!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?296992-Maglite-XL50-LED-Flashlight-Review

Or Xeno E03 (1AA) $29.99-35.99(depends on LED)+shipping 140+ lumens.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-G-R5-Neutral-White-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you pull off the top part of the bulb holder, the one that says do not remove, it will prevent the light from shutting off when the head is fully tightened down. The bad part is that you do risk the bulb holding part of the switch (that is inside the body) sliding out during battery changes. There is also a risk of pulling out the metal bulb contacts when removing the bulb if that part is removed.

SgtCuts

Newly Enlightened
If you pull off the top part of the bulb holder, the one that says do not remove, it will prevent the light from shutting off when the head is fully tightened down. The bad part is that you do risk the bulb holding part of the switch (that is inside the body) sliding out during battery changes. There is also a risk of pulling out the metal bulb contacts when removing the bulb if that part is removed.

Don look Here I figured it out