headlamps

ksbman

Flashaholic*
If you have lots of money, probably the Spe-Lu by Lupine.

I use a Streamlight Septor at work and with the 7 LED's it is brighter than the Black Diamond Moonlght I used to use.

I keep the Moonlight for camping because it is smaller.

doubleganger

Enlightened
I tried the 4 led illuminator..... too dim
I tried a matrix.... way too dim

This one is considerably brighter especially for the price. It seems to be very waterproof and fairly well made for a cheapie light. I wouldn't throw it against a wall though. Choice of 4 or 8 led operation. Obviously not ls quality, but definately worth the cost. I think they are on ebay pretty regularly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3628724143&category=16037

Sharp

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TheProphet said:
The PT Aurora works fine for me.

Anthony

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, PT Aurora's just great for my needs.

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
I have the Photon Fusion and like it very well. Four brightness levels and good battery life. Don't know how I got along without it camping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Actually what works very nice is one of those Nightize (sp?) headbands with an L4! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Don't laugh, they do work nice and it's cheap if you already have the L4. I like it with the Kl1 too. Not too bright.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck a E1e/KL1 clipped to the brim of a ball cap works well also! Much better than you might think. Used it a couple times crawling under the house....

GregR

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older Pelican HeadsUP Lite, with an EverLED. It's as bright as a luxeon driven at spec 350 mA.
Also, I have a Septor. I like the Septor better, for my use. No throw, but much smaller, and dimable.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Princeton Tec Yukon HL is scheduled to hit the market in October. It has both a luxeon star, and 3 5mm LEDs. I have been drooling over it for a while now.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
I second the Spe-Lu, plus it's virtually indestructible (believe me, I've tried!). Throw isn't too good, but a very even and wite flood. And absolutely fantastic in fog!

T

TACTICAL WAREHOUSE

TW is considering carrying additional headlamps for caving and other activities which require high end lights. What lines would you like to see us pick up?

Dan

Azreal911

Enlightened
Oh i went to walmart the other day saw those coglahn headlamps the cheap looking blue one that's all plastic with straps for your head but then it's been rebranded as north 49 and 8 leds have been installed with reflectors have been installed in place of the normal bulb. thing runs on 4aa's and seems ok for like $16 cdn. there's o-rings in the battery compartment so it'd make a good long run caving light. just don't expect a luxeon bright but it'll give a good run, probably as long as the streamlight 4aa led light. one more thing there's two settings on there, 4 leds and 8 leds at a turn of the switch. really quick changes.

it's basically this one:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=673377&PRODUCT<>prd_id=13883&bmUID=1064938265970

but with a overhead strap included and the straps are like petzl quality instead of the rubber ones here.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TACTICAL WAREHOUSE said:
TW is considering carrying additional headlamps for caving and other activities which require high end lights. What lines would you like to see us pick up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan, I've been very interested in the Koehler Brightstar LSI 4AA Responder headlamp and will get around to ordering one sometime this fall. It's Class 1 Division 2 rated for hazardous environments. Submersible to 100 feet and has survived the 30 foot drop test. It's a xenon lamp advertised at 35,000 candlepower and focusable from flood to a spot.

I have purchased the Princeton-Tec Yukon (Hybrid Incand/LED)and Auroras. My son has used them down in Belize for 3 months and they have been excellent. My 5 year old wears the 3 LED Aurora when he and his mom read books in bed at night. They set it on the lowest setting usually.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new P-T Yukon HL (1 watt LED in place of the incand.) fares.

I hope EL comes out with a 3 watt Luxeon headlamp to replace or in addition to the 1 watt they've sold.

BC

grnamin

Enlightened
May not be the brightest, but I use a Princeton Tec Matrix with the incan setup and an EverLED bulb. Much brighter than the LED setup.

Rebus

Enlightened
What about Elektrolumens Elektrostar?
The brightest that I have seen. Plus
much more throw than multi 5mm leds
lights.

-Rebus

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
The Princeton Tec Yukon HL is scheduled to hit the market in October. It has both a luxeon star, and 3 5mm LEDs. I have been drooling over it for a while now.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I wonder why they did not give the luxeon variable output? Is there some advantage to the 3 5mm leds?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Onelight, those 3 5mm LEDs are for closer in and longer runtime. Basically, if you don't need the Luxeon's output (too bright), switch to the 5mm LEDs with no need to take it off and swap lamp assemblies.