Best Battery to use in Mac's SST-50 1.4a ??

mikegebbia

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm looking for opinions on the best battery to use for my newly acquired SST-50 EDC 1.4a from Mac.

I originally thought it took a 18350 battery so I purchased (2) UltraFire 1200mah 3.7v Button Tops, but the battery is too fat, won't fit.

I also bought a TL-100 Universal Li-Ion Charger to charge the 18350's...

Can the TL-100 be used to charge the batteries that I actually need for the 1.4a ??

I want to use a rechargeable and looking to get the most brightness possible.

Also, can a non-rechargeable CR123A be used ? ie. Duracell (If so, will it be as bright ??)

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

soli

Newly Enlightened
I run AW RCR123's in mine. The EDC's were not designed with primaries (non-rechargeables) in mind, they do not provide enough power for the flashlight, you will more than likely not experience the light to it's fullest. e.g: high will have a similar output to medium.

rich297

Newly Enlightened
You will need a 16340 size cell for your SST-50. I recommend the AW brand, available at Lighthound or Oveready. I'm not familiar with the TL-100 charger but if it is a universal Li-ion charger, it should work. A primary CR123 might work OK with the 1.4 amp driver (for sure it wouldn't with the 2.8 amp driver), but I don't recommend it. Your light will not run as bright with a primary cell due to its lower voltage.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Is it unsafe to run these on primaries, or do you just get reduced output? Could you run it on medium okay with primaries?

I'm really interested in ordering one of these or a Tri-EDC, but am debating on whether I'm comfortable with buying a light that doesn't take primaries at all.

KenAnderson

Enlightened
Is it unsafe to run these on primaries, or do you just get reduced output? Could you run it on medium okay with primaries?

I'm really interested in ordering one of these or a Tri-EDC, but am debating on whether I'm comfortable with buying a light that doesn't take primaries at all.

On med and low primaries are fine. Probably not a good idea on high though. The lights do use a rubber boot on the switch and could exaust gas if necessary, but I still wouldn't run primaries on high.

soli

Newly Enlightened

You'll save money in the long run with rechargeable cells if that's any help :)