Anyone use the Petzl MYO RXP?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know that I want to use a 3 AA rear mounted battery pack but I'm curious as to how anyone who has one likes it. I'm attracted to an extent just because of its programmability.

It would be nice to be able to pick brightness levels and the order in which they come on.

When you combine that advantage with Petzls sliding diffuser to solve the flood issue it's an appealing combination. Too bad the Tikka XP2 doesn't offer programmability or the Storm for that matter.

For those of you who have this headlamp ( or have used it) did you like this feature as much as you thought you would?

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I have it as a second light for every trip It's one of my favorite since i was able mod it to XP-G. It's very popular because you can start it on Low, as the SSC P4 is a bit old this days I've mod many of thees straight from the shops to Cree XP-G and 10* optics -> more light and better throw (for flood you have diffuses of course).

The only issue is if you get old version (pre 06/10) with the old cable it will for certain broke (but they are replacing the whole headlamp on guarantee).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?216601-Petzl-Myo-RXP-hot-review-!

And Myo RXP after XP-G mod on high :
myorxpsscxpghigh.jpg

On 800mA you are getting about 250 lumens :hitit:

borrower

Enlightened
Got one; it's my primary light for trail running and carpentry work. I like just about everything about it (balanced weight, flood/spot, decent runtime).

I am, however, on a path to homebuilding myself a brighter beast. See this thread for my first (slightly nasty) effort. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=712601

hopkins

Enlightened
Backpacking in the CA Sierra I found I wanted less light than the low setting on my Petzl MYO XP so was looking at the
RXP. Blinding light is just not needed for cooking and getting the tent set up. My idea to just add a temporary resistor
into the battery case works great and I saved myself the price of the RXP. A more permanent installation into the battery cable with a switch may be
the final solution for low light & ultra long runtimes. Note I mod'ed this old model with a Cree xr-e and a custom reflector a few years ago.

156s1eo.jpg

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!

My electronics knowledge/theory is a bit weak so help me out...if you add the resistor I understand it will reduce the current and you'll have a lower light. Well it also save power and actually extend the battery life or does the resistor just convert that unused power into wasted heat with no extension to the battery life?

Thanks.

hopkins

Enlightened
From the batteries perspective a lower current being drained from them will always let them last longer no matter what gadget is connected.
The 150 ohm resistor I chose eventually resulted in what I thought was the right amount of light.

And yes the resistor is converting unused power to heat while doing its job of reducing overall current. A trade off engineers have gnashed their teeth
over for a century but have yet to find a solution for. The resistor as a component in devices will probably be is use far into the future.

The RXP being programmable does what I did much more elegantly.

Interesting and reassuring that with the 150ohm resistor installed the battery indicator has changed color, thinking the batteries are almost dead when they are
actually full. Also get the 3 quick on/off flashes from the main LED. But that just happens once soon after turning this MYO XP on.

At night in the dark dark mountains 16mA thru a CREE xr-e is plenty bright and such a small drain I could (if I wanted) leave it on all night as a night light without worrying about dead batteries.