National Blackout

Sharp

Enlightened
Don't know if you heard the news but since 0130 GMT, there has been a power shortage on the whole Italian territory!
There's no idea when power's coming back...
:EDIT: Because of this blackout, I'm not sure when it'll be possible for me to get back online, so my answers won't be very fast.
AIA.

Richard

Sharp

Enlightened
The irony's that Italy said no to its own nuclear power plants and shut them off and needs France for its electrical supply! Italy says poeple are afraid of a nuclear disaster, but damage in Italy wouldn't be much different if a Nuclear Power Plant in France fails...

Some won't believe this, but supermarkets used candles as light sources. I wanted to use my E2e/KL1 but I was afraid someone would either steal it or laugh at me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
It's alien...Instead of buying a stupid 2D plastic flashlights, people buy candles!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Richard

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh... candles burn longer? Uh.... candles are easily blow out and they find some sort of pleasure in fumbling around in the dark looking for matches to light the candle up? Nah, I think the reason is that candles are cheaper than batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only place that did not lose power was Sardinia. 58,000,000 people without power.

If you want to make candles for last ditch emergency use, and ones that won't break a glass globe: make them in 6 ounce Tuna cans!

Candles are standard items in a catholic country (votive). So it is no surprise.

Sharp

Enlightened
Well, as my backup backcup backup flashlight, I use a MiniM*g/Opalec in Candle Mode.

Nerd, what I mean is that people in Italy don't know what flashlights are. The best flashlight you can find is an Energizer DoubleBarrel AAA or AA. Maglites are alien too. The cheapest Maglite I've seen is around € 25 for a MiniM*g.
However, I do agree with you that people in Italy buy candles because they're cheaper, but it's also for what I mentioned before.

Richard

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Not sure how many members we have over there, but "miciobigio" lists his location as "Italy --->Tuscany --> Pisa".

Hopefully he's doing well and will post an update/flashaholic story for us when he gets back online!

He's got a hotmail addy in his profile, I'll drop him a note...

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez

What's going on? Didn't a couple of the Scandinavian countries have a massive blackout also, just last week?

GregR

Miciobigio

Enlightened
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Sharp said:
Nerd, what I mean is that people in Italy don't know what flashlights are. The best flashlight you can find is an Energizer DoubleBarrel AAA or AA. Maglites are alien too. The cheapest Maglite I've seen is around € 25 for a MiniM*g.
However, I do agree with you that people in Italy buy candles because they're cheaper, but it's also for what I mentioned before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Sharp, i don't know where do you live, (i think not in Italy) but i can assure you than we all know what are flashlights !!
You can buy M@glite just anywhere , you can buy Surefire in every armoury , you can easily find the Streamlight Scorpion and other flashlights.
The problem is they cost a lot more than in USA.
As for nuclear-plant , there was 15 years ago a "referendum" here in Italy that asked: "Do you want nuclear-power-plants?" people vote for "NO" ... i think this is called "Democracy".
As for the blackout, it took place at 3,30 am Sunday and at 10:00 am the light returned in 70 % of the country in the afternoon returned in 100% so no need to use my flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
And ,yes, we buy the 15% of electrical-power from France and Swiss and all the problems were caused from the interruption of THAT 15%.

Regards and (as usual) i apologize in advance for my poor English.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Marco, thanks for posting and it sounds like you're doing well! Glad it wasn't a bad thing for you! These little "power burps" keep us prepared - we hope!

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Marco,

I'm happy to know that you too are from Italy. In the area where I live, the power was back at 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT), and this morning I heard of other places in the South Italy that have been reconnected this morning, 12 hrs. later than me.
It has been the worst black-out in the last 50 years. And there are no clear explanations yet... if will there ever be.

Regards

Anthony

Stefan

Enlightened
I thought I caught something on the news that there was a storm in the area that knocked over trees, disconnecting Italy from Switzerland. Or at least thats what they are wanting us to believe.