Advice for a torch novice

Pennyh

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am really overwhelmed by this site, I had no idea that there was so much information and passion on torches. I have in the past be on holidays to places where we go out at night spotting wildlife, often high in trees but also small insect and bugs quite close up. I have only ever had a torch that is enough to stop me tripping over things but not for alluminating what is up in the trees. I need a torch that can be turned down low so as not to disturn the wildlife while walking along but able to spot them once you have found them. Last year in Brazil we met an English man with an Americal army torch which was amazing and could light up well enough for us to take photos of Kinkajoos etc in the trees. I am going to Madagascar this year and would love to have a torch that could do something similar. I have tried to answer the questions below. I hope that someone will help me I don't expect I will be a regular to this site, but it certainly is amazing.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in _New Zealand_____________.
____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $300.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
___

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches). or a little bigger if need be.

5) Emitter/Light source:

)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use? I have no idea

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to be able to spot wildlife in trees with enough light to maybe photograph them while not blinding them forever. I am not worried if the photo are not perfect but would like to know what the creature is when I look at the photo.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 5 yards/meters looking at insects and bugs at night close up
____5-20 yards/meters walking through jungle/forrest
____30-50 yards/meters
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards maybe

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a selector ring.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

swan

Banned
gday , i would recomend the jetbeam rrt2 r5 it has adjustable output low med high 300lms, made to the highest stds is 145mm long. On low its great for walking giving good spill so you dont trip over and on med or high you will see everthing in the tree even if its a rain forest giant. I bought this torch $135 aus in sydney , it runs on 2 x cr123 batterys or 1 x 18650 battery. The cr123 cost $5 ea so ibought a charger and 2x 18650s for $55 which gives me 3hrs on high to approx 30hrs on low.This is a regulated torch which means it stays the same brightness in run times and dosent dull like cheapos. so for $190 you get a torch that amaze you , hope this helps

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the Jetbeam RRT-0 is very good all around by using AA batteries if you buy the AA extender, and cr123 batteries.
If you are willing to just use a 18650 battery I highly recommend the Zebralight SC600.

cistallus

Enlightened
Look at the Flashlight Reviews forum here - and especially at Selfbuilt's marvelous 100-yard beam shot comparison thread.

Although the trees probably aren't 100 yards tall, it should give you a good idea of what class of light you should look for.

As a newbie I'd suggest you avoid Li-Ion (Lithium Ion) batteries for now. Many lights that take a 18650 Li-Ion battery will also take 2-CR123 regular primary batteries; those are relatively inexpensive online, if your trip isn't too long you could just take enough with you.

Or, look for a light that takes AA batteries, like the Fenix TK4x lights (TK40, TK45, TK41) or the more affordable LD40 or LD20, or JetBeam BA20, or several 4Sevens lights, or many other lights by many other manufacturers.

For where to buy, you could first check out the CPF Classifieds linked to from the left sidebar on the front CPF forums page. For terms you don't understand, check the CPF Wiki also linked from there - scroll to the bottom of the front page for Terminology.

And, :welcome:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
This will really narrow down your options but if you are going to use it to observe and photograph wildlife id look for a "neutral" or maybe even "warm" tint light. Also maybe something with a defuser option.

litch

Newly Enlightened
Question deleted.

litch, your were hijacking OP's thread. Start your own thread with your questions. :)

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

beerwax

Enlightened
hi pennyh.

i recommend aa size batteries . you can get rechargeables and non rechargeables and aa size camera batteries.

2 x aa fenix ld20 about 60 bucks. really bright really portable match winner.

not sure how much bright you need . i would guess fenix ld20 is enough but i dont photograph.
there are many other capable lights i havnet mentioned , there all pretty good.

if you want to use camera batteries(cr123 style) you will get twice the brightness from the same size light, but you will only be able to use camera batteries , and im guessing you are familiar with their availability . if you can deal with that it is the best option . you would want a 2 x cr123a size torch.

there are some large online stores with good history that you will find referenced in this forum. not sure if im meant to name them, look in the marketplace and find one you like. i have dealt with 4sevens and been happy.

feel free to dive headlong into CPF and get really confused and headachy.
cheers.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The Fenix LD25 and LD40 are both neutral and run on AA's. The TK45 and TK41 are a lot brighter but not neutral.

If you wanna use CR123's theres more options.

Pennyh

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your help. You raised some points I hadn't thought about, especially the type of batteries. I know that batteries are hard to get in Madagascar so I decided that re chargable AA would be best as that is what my camera uses. As I live in New Zealand I tried to find a local dealer for the brands you all metioned, I found that Fenix were available and after looking at the 100 yard tests I decided to get the TK41. I think that having 4 power settings will be useful. I may never post to this site again as I don't think I will become addicted to torches as some seem to be, but never say never.

Thank you again Penny