Surefire Saint Problem

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure we are all aware of the annoying reflections from some of the Saint headlamps and its right on the bridge of my nose and bounces around on my peripherals which drives me insane. The beam itself is pretty perfect for my needs - good tint, brightness and the UI is really nice. And its one of the most comfortable lights I have every worn.

But the reflection is really bugging me.

But the problem here is that I planned on using it for a trip on July 9th. And I had gotten the light through a gift certificate (from the True Stories monthly contest) long story short I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it forwarded to me here in Australia as the Surefire site don't do international. Which cost me a lot of time and a good deal in shipping costs. And I don't want to do it again in reverse.

So is there any way to fix it myself? I can't really see how as I can't see anyway of opening it. Guess I should just send it in... it just means I won't have a head light for the upcoming trip as this was bought as a replacement to my lost light.

Any other options?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure we are all aware of the annoying reflections from some of the Saint headlamps and its right on the bridge of my nose and bounces around on my peripherals which drives me insane. The beam itself is pretty perfect for my needs - good tint, brightness and the UI is really nice. And its one of the most comfortable lights I have every worn.

But the reflection is really bugging me.

But the problem here is that I planned on using it for a trip on July 9th. And I had gotten the light through a gift certificate (from the True Stories monthly contest) long story short I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it forwarded to me here in Australia as the Surefire site don't do international. Which cost me a lot of time and a good deal in shipping costs. And I don't want to do it again in reverse.

So is there any way to fix it myself? I can't really see how as I can't see anyway of opening it. Guess I should just send it in... it just means I won't have a head light for the upcoming trip as this was bought as a replacement to my lost light.

Any other options?

Black electrical tape?

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I've always wondered if you could fabricate something like a miniature hat brim attached to the bottom of the light to block the reflection. Perhaps this is what gcbryan was referring to. In any case, I think you could use electrical tape to make a small brim as I described. I don't have a Saint, though, so I'm not really sure. Good luck!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Saint either. Most of the headlamps I've been around that produced glare were the result of light shining through a translucent plastic body and covering the offending areas with black electrical tape works.

The Saint is metal and it's a different problem I'm sure but you can do a lot with black tape. I figured that someone with a Saint and a better solution would come along but in the meantime...tape :)

namancio

Newly Enlightened
I too am having the same issue with my Saint and was wondering if this is a manufacturing defect or it is inherent in the design. I put the Saint next to my Petzl Tikka XP2 on a table and saw that the Saint has a bright sliver of light at the bottom while the Tikka glows all over since it is plastic. I didn't notice this on the Saint until I read it here and now I always notices it. I guess ignorance would have been bliss. Anyway, do you think this is a manufacturing defect or should I just live with it?

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Some of my headlamps glare at my eyes and I simply wear it higher on my forehead/lower to my neck in the back. If you get what I mean?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am having the same issue with my Saint and was wondering if this is a manufacturing defect or it is inherent in the design. I put the Saint next to my Petzl Tikka XP2 on a table and saw that the Saint has a bright sliver of light at the bottom while the Tikka glows all over since it is plastic. I didn't notice this on the Saint until I read it here and now I always notices it. I guess ignorance would have been bliss. Anyway, do you think this is a manufacturing defect or should I just live with it?

Given the Surefire response it seems to be inherent in the design. I guess I'd say if the XP2 glare doesn't bother you maybe you can get used to this too :)

I had a little glare on a plastic bodied headlamp due to the emitter turning what appeared to be opaque plastic to translucent plastic. Electrical tape solved the problem for me. Now I don't have to push the headlamp up to a certain spot on my forehead to lessen the problem.

If it does bother you can't you put a piece of tape where that sliver of light is coming from?

5150Bronco

Newly Enlightened
This is really good to read because I love surefire and I was actually going to buy this one because and to have it. Now I will rethink it again.

nick-nack

Newly Enlightened
Given the Surefire response it seems to be inherent in the design. I guess I'd say if the XP2 glare doesn't bother you maybe you can get used to this too :)

I had a little glare on a plastic bodied headlamp due to the emitter turning what appeared to be opaque plastic to translucent plastic. Electrical tape solved the problem for me. Now I don't have to push the headlamp up to a certain spot on my forehead to lessen the problem.

If it does bother you can't you put a piece of tape where that sliver of light is coming from?

This wouldn't work for the Saint. The body is solid aluminium so the light is coming through the body. Its an inherent design flaw with the aspherical lens they use - so unless you tape the edges of the lens up, tape isn't going to help you.

But I just want to say again - its only a minor problem when looking at the light as a whole. This post wasn't a "Don't Buy This" it was a more of a "I'm Disappointed" sort of post. Surefire did offer to replace or refund the light but of course I want the light... just without the problem.

All in all I'm very pleased with it... and I will be more pleased as my OCD dislike of the rings lessen.

namancio

Newly Enlightened
The email response I received from Surefire acknowledged that is was the best compromise they have to address another issue. They offered to refund if I am not happy enough to keep it. I'm still undecided but leaning on keeping it.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Saint and I dont notice the glare. Compared to my new Icon Irix II, the 5 LEDs physically protrude out of the front og the headlamp. I can see the light at the top of my vision. A little annoying.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't hear any of you over the sound of how awesome my H501W is...

/kidding