Surefire KL3 what can be done ?

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi I would like to mod a KL3 head I have coming. I did a search and could not find much.
Has anybody seen a good thread on this? I would like to see what other people have done to this head.

thanks for any help guys

cheers

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2nd Gen KL3 responds well to an SSC emitter upgrade - the beam will be brighter and wider. I have one like this. I tried an XP-G behind the 3rd gen optic and it works well. I plan to mod one like that and a 2nd gen optic with an XP-E or Rebel (all neutral of course).
You can increase the drive level by replacing/piggybacking SMD resistors.

Here is a good old thread on the KL3. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?73869-KL3-Mod
1.3Amp mod to the driver and a few other tidbits of info even though they only had luxeon at the time.
Post # 11 in that thread has more old thread links on the KL3 and mods done to it.

Rat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi
Thanks for that I have two coming one second hand I got from CPFMarketplace & the other is brand new. I am not sure which version they are but they both look like the picture below. I was planning on finding someone to replace the led in the new one and keeping the optics and with the secondhand one I was thinking of replacing the whole insides of it with a kick as quad or something crazy like that.
The new one had a max of 19lm in the add could that be right seems very low ?
Do you know of any Modder's I could try to see if they are interested in replacing the LED and emitters in one of them ? Willing to pay for what it is worth.
I was thinking of doing something like in the link to the other one but that can wait.
http://translate.google.com/transla...tp://excessive.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-01-01-1

kl3bk_full01.jpg

thanks for your help

red_hackle

Enlightened
I modded one of the newer KL3 heads with a Lux-RC triple (link)... It doesn't require much space and if you machine a heatsink to fit the cavity I would imagine you can fit one into an older-style KL3 as well. :thinking: