Zebra SC50 or SC51...?

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to decide on the either SC50 or SC51, reason I am saying is based on the lumen output
This is for the w model which suppose to be neutral...
Specs show as follows:

SC50: w model
High: 107 Lumens (2.3 hrs) or 2Hz Strobe
- Medium: 36 Lumens (10.5 hrs) or 18 Lumens (21.4 hrs)
- Low: 4.4 Lumens (4 days) or 0.6 Lumens (22 days)

SC51: w model
High: H1 172 Lm (0.9 hrs) or H2 86 Lm (2.4 hrs) / 120 Lm (1.7 hrs)
Medium: M1 26 Lm (12 hrs) or M2 7 Lm (39 hrs)
Low: L1 2.2 Lm (3 days) or L2 0.18 Lm (16 days)

I would think there is too much of a difference between high and low on the 51 from 26 to 172 lumen
I would think that for the 50 the 36 lumen and 107 lumen is a more balanced output, more of a gradual increase
The other column for the 51 meaning 86/7/0.18 does not seem balanced to me at all. Just too much difference i think.
I rather have 107 lumes for 2 hours then 172 for less than 1 hour.
Basically to use it in the house and around the house.

I don't have either so looking to see what you guys think.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
I've (just) received a SC51w and IMO the spacings are pretty ideal. I have it set to 172 (for showing off)/26 (for EDC use)/0.18 (for creeping into bed when SWMBO is already asleep).

Absolutely cracking little light! As to choosing that over the SC50 - hopefully someone with both can help you, but it certainly doesn't feel like huge output jumps in use.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I got the SC50w back before the 51w was available. I picked it for the neutral tint and no PWM on low. Not sure, but I think the 51w may use it for the lowest level like the 51 does. This may not be bothersome to you anyway.

Geoff

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the SC51w. You can't really go by the numbers. They can be deceiving. The actual output differences between levels are spaced about as good as it gets. Perfect spacing if you ask me. You won't be disappointed with the SC51w.

Deal4

Enlightened
Well, since I don't have the SC51w, but the standard SC51 maybe this won't count too much for you, but with mine the spacing is the best of any light I own!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 51 is going to be more efficient, and the neutral tint is more of a true white compared to the 50w, which is warmer (more yellowish).

You can use 14500's in the 50w and the output on H1 almost exactly duplicates the H1 output of the 51w (169 vs 172 lumens, which is not going to be noticeable), but the disadvantage is that you get a lot less run time on a 14500.

Another difference is in the hotspot; the 51 is going to have a larger, slightly more diffuse hotspot because of the larger die size of the XPG compared to the XPE that's in the 50w, so the 50w will actually out-throw the 51w at comparable levels.

Other than that, they are pretty much identical lights.

I've been using a 50w+ as my primary EDC for a good 8 - 9 mos. now and don't see any real reason to 'upgrade' to the 51w. My EDC uses don't require long run times, but I do like having the option of the higher H1 output, so I run mine on 14500 most often. I also use diffusion film on the lens which spreads the hotspot out and blends its edge into the spill much more gradually. At longer distances, more than about 12' - 15', the hotspot pretty much disappears and the beam has a bright center gradually dimming as you move toward the edge of the spill area.

At this point in time, unless some new whiz-bang light comes out in the next few weeks, I don't see anything else replacing my 50w+ as my primary EDC light until I get another ZL; which will be an SC51c (high CRI) light, which then MIGHT replace my 50w+ depending on how much I like it.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
The other column for the 51 meaning 86/7/0.18 does not seem balanced to me at all. Just too much difference i think.
I rather have 107 lumes for 2 hours then 172 for less than 1 hour.
The other thing I forgot to add is that you can configure it to be 120/26/2.2, or 86/26/2.2, or any other combination of the H/M/L modes. Plus you still have 172 lumens only a double click away when you're in high mode! I thought the UI seemed confusing when I read it on paper, but once you actually use it it's simple.

Ishango

Enlightened
I don't know about the SC50, but I do like my SC51w a lot. I use it often in my EDC and it is one of the best lights I own. I think you can't go wrong with the SC51.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the SC50w back before the 51w was available. I picked it for the neutral tint and no PWM on low. Not sure, but I think the 51w may use it for the lowest level like the 51 does. This may not be bothersome to you anyway.

Geoff

They do use PWM on the two secondary modes of low and medium, but it is set at 4Khz on the latest models... shouldn't bother anyone

I'd go for the 51 since you can pick your own outputs thus get costumized mode spacing... then again I wanted one for the low low and high output (which is stuck in the mail for over two weeks now due to a postal strike from which they've only recovered by 35% in a whole week :rant: :hairpull: :banghead: )