NO MORE SHELF QUEENS! (JOIN CLUB HERE)

nbp

Flashaholic
First off, a tip of the hat to EngrPaul, a swell guy, whose title style I blatantly plagiarized for this thread. :sssh: Thanks Paul. :wave:

Next to the important part: I am now promising to never again allow any light I own to become a shelf queen.

I have nearly erradicated cheapie lights from my collection; most of what I have now I have carefully selected and obtained through a lot of buying and selling and trading, and really really like. That means a few of them were quite expensive. However, I refuse to allow that to keep me from using and enjoying them. I realize that the reason they were pricey is because they were thoughtfully designed and expertly crafted, and because of this they are a pleasure to use and they do their jobs very well. Allowing them to sit on the shelf and not be used is a waste of my hard-earned money in my eyes.

Recently I have been EDCing a couple of fairly expensive lights. They are fabulous, and they do the jobs I got them for perfectly. I refuse to allow the price of these lights or any others prevent me from carrying them and enjoying them. They were built to be used; I fully intend to honor the maker's wishes, and use them to the full, reveling in every minute of burntime. :thumbsup:

WHO IS WITH ME? NO MORE SHELF QUEENS! :rock: :rock: :rock:

aimxplode

Enlightened
In. My primary lights are an RRT-0, BA20, and Quark mini 123, and I have a purpose for each one. No shelf queens here!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only "shelf queens" are lights I used to carry regularly and have now been retired in favor of something newer.
All my lights are users, some just haven't been used for a while

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I could just echo Echo63. I've got a bunch that don't see use anymore that would be better described as shelf-pawns. Besides, I see nothing wrong with having both users and lookers.

Geoff

yowzer

Enlightened
Knives, lights, and backpacking gear are my big money sinks. They're all tools, and tools should be used to get the most out of them. So no, no shelf queens.

Samy

Enlightened
I use each of my lights (3-4) daily for a different purpose, so no shelf queens here. It does make it easier when you need lights for work and/or live out in the dark countryside like i do.

cheers

KenAnderson

Enlightened
We don't want everyone to join this club. I purchase many of my lights as shelf queens from those who were timely enough to make the purchase. Come on people, let's keep buying those shelf queens!

:)

Ian2381

Enlightened
Most members have too much lights to use that ended up as shelf queens.
I buy lights that I don't really need but wanted to have so they went to the shelf together with my retired lights.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
In! None of my lights are shelf queens. Every single one of them gets used, where appropriate.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any shelf queens, but then again I also don't have very many lights yet. I don't plan on having any shelf queens though!

Maxbelg

Enlightened
I couldn't agree more with nbp. I also acquired some VERY special lights, but I hate the idea of a shelf queen. If it doesn't get used I'll sell it. I only want to keep (very special) users!!! Of course I don't abuse them either, but don't mind if they show some usage and actually prefer this to mint. Obviously the disadvantage is that you'll get less when you sell them, but Oh well you can't have it all and most hobbies cost something.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
All my lights are users... not rich enough to have a shelf queen collection. But I admire those who do show off their shelves.

Chrisdm

Enlightened
I'm in. I had a TC-R2 which I loved, but it was so fancy lookin' I hesitated bringing it out of the house... So off to the marketplace it went :)

vudoo

Enlightened
I wish I could join the club but I just don't have enough use for my lights. Wished I had a job that I could them on a daily basis.

Doesn't stop me from buying them though....

nbp

Flashaholic
Glad we have some takers! :thumbsup: Use those lights everyone! ;)

In! None of my lights are shelf queens. Every single one of them gets used, where appropriate.

This is a good point. I should specify that. Not all my lights get abused, but they all get used. If I am going to change oil, I will use my beater G2L, not my Haiku or Mule or Ti Clicky. BUT they DO get EDCd. My normal day to day routine is fairly gentle on lights, but they certainly leave the house, and they definitely get used.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
No shelf-queens in this household. Everything I own gets dropped on the floor the moment it comes in the house. This gets me over the initial "oh god the first scratch hurts the most" shock. Chips in the ano add character imo.

I think a lot of people would be shocked to hear that I carry a kuku Ti D10 in the same pocket as my car keys. :whistle:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
No shelf queens here either. Every light that I purchase has a practical use in mind. The better ones are used a little more gently of course, but they're used. Life is too short to be fumbling around in the dark.