New to flashlights, question about mode memory.

FSS

Newly Enlightened
Well, of course I have used a flashlight before, but i am about to get a 5 mode flashlight, and I need to know if i should get one with mode memory or not? (And yes, I'm sure that i want strobe and SOS functions, you never know...) I was about to buy a 6 d maglight, but i cant as i have found an LED light wide 10 times the lumens, at a lower price. I want a flashlight that is very bright, compact, and efficient. This is the one I'm thinking of: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultraf...00-lumen-white-led-flashlight-1-x-18650-57006

Thanks- FSS

FSS

Newly Enlightened
Oh and also, i need to know if i should use a protected or unprotected battery for this? I dont want to ruin a battery.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Mode memory means that the light will remember the mode you were using when the light was last turned off, and when you turn it on again, the light will switch back on in that mode. A light without mode memory will switch on at the manufacturers pre-determined default light level, irrespective of how the light was set when you switched it off.

It's impossible to say which is best - just a matter of personal needs and requirement. No doubt that there will be times when you would like the light to come on where you left it, and other times when your light is set to high, but you would like it to come on low, and vice versa. That's where lights with adjustment rings are handy! ;)

drmaxx

Enlightened
I would get one with mode memory. On a flashlight I usually have a preferred mode that runs 90% of the time and it is nice not to have to switch to that mode every single time you turn on the light.

And on the battery: Don't use unprotected LiIon if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

FSS

Newly Enlightened
Alright, thanks guys, i guess i will aim for memory, i will probably be using high most of the time, and okay, protected battery it is then! haha. Thanks-FSS

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Yep, came back to this thread as it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't answered the question in the second post. I have to agree with drmaxx - if you don't know for sure that the light has over discharge and over current protection built in, then I would stick to protected cells, and even if the light is so equipped, protected cells are still on the whole a good idea.

EASTWOOD

Newly Enlightened
I agree with what drmaxx has said- you will probably find yourself using one mode the majority of the time, so mode memory is a good thing.

Regarding protected vs. unprotected LiIon: definitely use the protected if you are not familiar with this type of chemistry; these cells can't be treated like alkalines that roll around loose in a drawer till you need them. Personally, I only use unprotected but there are several precautions that I take- 1.cells are stored individually in plastic cases, 2.voltage is checked before and after charging, 3.voltages are checked before each use, 4.I monitor for changes in charge capacity, 5.I never leave cells stored in my lights, 6.any cell that becomes suspect for any reason is discarded. These precautions may seem a bit extreme but if you search this forum for LiIon failures, you will understand why. Do yourself a favor and purchase a quality protected cell. As I don't use protected, maybe someone else here could chime in with a reputable brand (I've seen mention several times that AW brand is among the best but I don't have personal experience with them). I buy many parts from DX, but not LiIon cells. They may be good but IMO, they make me nervous.

I have a 5 mode XM-L module from DX in a mag and I believe that it is probably very similar to the one in the light you are considering for purchase as they are both from the same manufacturer (YangLight). If so, you will be pleased with the output if you have never used a higher lumen LED light before. Keep in mind that the 1200 lumen figure is a little exaggerated but it is bright nonetheless. Also, lack of adequate heatsinking is usually a problem with these cheaper lights. I never run mine for more than 10 minutes continuous which is fine for work purposes (perimeter sweeps and quick checks). The problem with the lack of proper heatsinking is that eventually you will fry the LED if used for prolonged periods of time.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Yep, AW batteries are still highly regarded and recommended, and more recently, Redilast cells have quickly gained a good reputation for themselves.

FSS

Newly Enlightened
Alright thanks guys! Any tips for buying flashlights are welcome too! And yes, i will probably not use it for more than 10 minutes, but hopefully it will cool down if i turn the mode down... Thanks, -FSS