What LED Flashlights Have An SOS Mode?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, what LED flashlights have an SOS mode?

It looks like at least some Fenix LED flashlights do.

What would be some of the better Fenix 18650 or 21700 LED flashlights with an SOS mode?

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Did a search for Fenix lights with SOS:

This one seems decent, Fenix LD30:

For a way more powerful SOS feature, what about the Acebeam P17?

As for 18650 vs 21700, the 21700 lights are typically more powerful, and with longer runtimes, at the cost of being a bit bigger and more expensive.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Fenix lights with SOS.
I carry the LD30 daily. It's a perfect pocket size, 18650 battery, 1600 lumens, dual action clip.

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
Fenix lights with SOS.
I carry the LD30 daily. It's a perfect pocket size, 18650 battery, 1600 lumens, dual action clip.

I really like the LD30, very floody, it's the star of the show! It has that ultra thin reflector that makes the light tiny for an 18650, the tint is a bit greenish on lower modes but cleans up on higher modes and isn't as noticeable at night. Love the Proton though, phenomenal light!

3_gun

Enlightened
Has SOS mode ever been used in real life? I've found a couple cases where a flashlight was use to signal for help but none of those said anything about using a SOS mode. Oddly I've also seen an online test of flashlights use to signal for help & they found flood beam lights were seen easier than throw beam lights in general. They also came up with a roughly 300:1 ratio of distance you could see with the light vs how far away the light could be seen. Something to think about in a long term power outage, your 1K/L light could be a beacon for trouble makers well beyond the area you'd expect

Galane

Newly Enlightened
I have an Olight Perun Mini headlamp with SOS mode and a cheap "Smiling Shark" LED flashlight from Temu that does SOS and strobe plus two or three levels of brightness.

It was cheap, gets usably bright, but has some flyweight battery. Supposedly an 18650 but very low capacity. I have not figured out how to non-destructively open it to do a battery upgrade.

Just about all of the first and second generation FourSevens lights have a "hidden" (but still easily accessed) SOS feature. The third generation FourSevens lights (produced now by Jasou Hui of Prometheus fame) feature programmable mode sequences, one or two of which include an SOS function.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has SOS mode ever been used in real life? I've found a couple cases where a flashlight was use to signal for help but none of those said anything about using a SOS mode.

I've asked that question for many years and have NOT found any incidents/situations were an "SOS mode" was used successfully in a Rescue situation.

In those many years I've asked here (CPF), and searching the internet, I've found NO results of ANY "SOS mode" being used during a Rescue.

PLEASE, if you do come across ANY Rescues that benefited from a flashlight in "SOS mode", please let me know!

roostre

Newly Enlightened
In those many years I've asked here (CPF), and searching the internet, I've found NO results of ANY "SOS mode" being used during a Rescue.
Searching for "flashlight sos rescue" within Google's "News" category yields:

https://wpde.com/news/local/missing...by-c130-myrtle-beach-horry-county-coast-guard

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stranded-man-rescued-iceland-erupting-volcano-flashlight-sos/

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/07/30/lake-district-walker-with-broken-leg-sends-sos-with-torch/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ging-Morse-code-signals-wife-using-TORCH.html

Flashlight SOS even helped rescue this murderer who had killed two women earlier that same night:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of them seem to have an "SOSOSO...." mode, does that count? Some have "SOS...SOS..."

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for the post!

I will say that the only one that appears to "possibly" be use of a flashlight "SOS mode" is the first article, however it does not confirm that in any way, and I would not be surprised to find that it was actually a "Strobe mode" that was used, which is usually what IS used

The one article is very clear (per the writer of the article anyway) that the man was using "morse code" MANUALLY activated, NOT an "SOS mode"

The rest of the articles have nothing that clearly points to the use of a flashlight "SOS mode" being utilized and from past looking into such it almost always ends up having been the use of a "strobe mode" NOT an "SOS mode"

When you research these incidents, it becomes apparent that the writers of these articles have NO knowledge about what a flashlight "SOS mode" vs "Strobe mode" is, or how used.

Of course this is nothing new, as anyone with any knowledge/sense knows that you can't believe much of what is reported on/in the News, Papers, Articles, that without further research to confirm or refute what really happened