What is the brightest 2AA flashlight?

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP70.3 is a 6v or 12v LED.
Maybe I'll build one to test if my 6v drivers can hit 800 lumens with 2 1.2v eneloops.
I haven't looked at the XHP70.3 data sheet, but my guess is it won't even power a 6v driver for a usable time, if at all.

There's far better tools for the job.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP70.3 is a 6v or 12v LED.
Maybe I'll build one to test if my 6v drivers can hit 800 lumens with 2 1.2v eneloops.
I haven't looked at the XHP70.3 data sheet, but my guess is it won't even power a 6v driver for a usable time, if at all.

There's far better tools for the job.
Yeah, you would definitely need to get the right driver. But that LED should be able to do that at. The 70.2 will make 1000 lumens at 5.5v and 1A. 5.5/2.4=2.29 say at 90% driver efficiency let's say 2.4x. So 2.4A. That's what the boost circuit will need. That is easily doable for both a driver and the cells. And this was a test of a 70.2 4000k. A 70.3 6500k will be more efficient and require less current.

But let's say you want less of a voltage boost. So we can try with the Osram P9. Very similar efficiency. It will make 1000 lm at 2 A with a VF of 3 V. So, without doing the math, you're going to be less than 3 A on the low-voltage side. Also very easy for two eneloops

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, after reading all of these posts (Thank you to everybody by the way!) A few of you mentioned a Convoy light. I have always wanted to try one but could not find a US source for the ones I liked.... until today! I ended up buying a Convoy C8+ SST40 from Amazon and should have it Wednesday! It is an 18650 light and is a thrower. Not the 2AA that I set off to get, but a lot of you made some real good points about the limitations of AA lights. Anyhow, I will continue my quest for a 2AA light at a later date and will look forward to my new Convoy!!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally would not have gone with the LED choice that you did, but otherwise, that is an awesome light. It will still be an awesome light. I just prefer a different LED.
I have a couple of that same light, except for mine is the one with the 21700 body. These things are real throwers.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally would not have gone with the LED choice that you did, but otherwise, that is an awesome light. It will still be an awesome light. I just prefer a different LED.
I have a couple of that same light, except for mine is the one with the 21700 body. These things are real throwers.
I would have loved the 21700 body! Another idea for another time! Thanks!!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after starting with a quest to get a new 2AA light, my gears shifted and I ended up with a Convoy C8+ AND a Convoy L21B! These are two really old school lights but I love both! I have not bought lights like this in several years!! The new AA has been put on the backburner. I looked at a few but none were really upgrades from what I already have.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after starting with a quest to get a new 2AA light, my gears shifted and I ended up with a Convoy C8+ AND a Convoy L21B! These are two really old school lights but I love both! I have not bought lights like this in several years!! The new AA has been put on the backburner. I looked at a few but none were really upgrades from what I already have.
Great lights but how are they old-school? They're modern lights made for high power LEDs. If you're talking about their size that's so they can have a big reflector and lots of throw. What LEDs did you go with?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not sure if it's the absolute brightest out there. But loving my recently bought Fenix LD22 V2 LED model.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if it's the absolute brightest out there. But loving my recently bought Fenix LD22 V2 LED model.

I love Fenix lights! I have a few older 2AA lights from them and one may be an older version of the LD22. I will have to dig it up and see!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great lights but how are they old-school? They're modern lights made for high power LEDs. If you're talking about their size that's so they can have a big reflector and lots of throw. What LEDs did you go with?
I guess they are not too old school, but they are the first lights like this I have purchased in years that did not have a USB port on it for charging the battery internally. They are also a little over built (nothing like my old WolfEyes lights!) and were not made to be as tiny as possible. They are lights made for REAL MEN!!!:crackup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Post pics of Wolf eyes torches.
Been a couple of decades since I heard that brand mentioned here on CPF. Apparently still around, but the vast majority of their models, aren't. Wolf-Eyes was popular on CPF during that weird transition period where if you wanted runtime, you bought LED. You wanted the brightest output, you bought a HID. But if you wanted the brightest hand-held lights on the market, you bought incandescent models. That's what Wolf-Eyes excelled at. Their inca. models were quite good when it came to output (back then), and they were very affordable. They were also all Made in China.

I still have their 4xCR123 cell version somewhere in storage on the original bulb that has literal seconds of runtime on it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have Pila lights but can't manage to get a Wolf Eyes which is Australian I think.
There was always talk back in the day that that PILA and Wolf-Eyes were related. Perhaps Wolf-Eyes was an Australian company? But their lights were definitely Made in China.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a couple of decades since I heard that brand mentioned here on CPF. Apparently still around, but the vast majority of their models, aren't. Wolf-Eyes was popular on CPF during that weird transition period where if you wanted runtime, you bought LED. You wanted the brightest output, you bought a HID. But if you wanted the brightest hand-held lights on the market, you bought incandescent models. That's what Wolf-Eyes excelled at. Their inca. models were quite good when it came to output (back then), and they were very affordable. They were also all Made in China.

I still have their 4xCR123 cell version somewhere in storage on the original bulb that has literal seconds of runtime on it.
The first three I bought were the Guider, the Sniper, and another that took 3 CR123's which I no longer have. When I stopped using CR123's I went all rechargeable and that one was an oddball! Mine were all LED's from the start though. Several years ago there was somebody selling several of them on Ebay for really good prices. They seemed to be new old stock. Wolf Eyes still has a web page but I never see their lights sold anywhere. I then purchased a Guider Pro and a Numen-I from the Ebay seller. He screwed up my order and sent me a Guider Pro and a Lunar headlamp. I contacted him and he immediately sent me the Numen-I and let me keep the headlamp! He even sent me 3 extra Wolf Eyes 18650 cells! I love these lights and cannot figure out why Wolf Eyes seemed to just vanish into oblivion! I thought their lights were right up there in quality with Fenix, Streamlight, Surefire, etc.