Big Review, with pics of 3 Lights! Fenix TK41, Fenix TK20, and a Cree Budget Light!!!

firelord777

Enlightened
For consideration into the review forum. :D

Big Review of 3 Flashlights
Fenix TK41 (800 ANSI lumens- 8X AA)
Fenix TK20 (150 Emitter Lumens- 2X AA)
Cree X950 (1200 claimed lumens, estimated 300 ANSI lumens-2X 18650)
I will be talking about my three flashlights and interesting stuff. Keep in mind that I am more than willing to help you out with any questions about these lights.

Cree X950, Fenix TK41, Fenix TK20
The Cree has 5 Q5 emitters in separate reflectors.
Fenix TK41 has a single XM-L
Fenix TK20 has a Q2 Neutral-White, (my personal favorite tint wise)

I am showing you guys the Fenix TK20- First picture is with the grip off and second grip on. I keep mine without grip, looks better to my eyes, but feels so much better with grip on :D

This is what the box for the Fenix TK20 came in. I am missing a tool it came with, to screw on the screws for the clip in this picture.
(2-o-rings, one spare orange tail cap boot, 2 extra screws, and a shiny metal ring that I have no clue what its for. Came with a holster as well. The carabiner is mine however, to clip it on my shorts :D)

TK20 inside holster. Decent holster quality. At least for me.

This is the box for the TK41. Medium sized light I would say. I would know, I EDC this light. I know, crazy.

The pictures above has a pair of glasses so you guys can judge size of the TK41.

The Fenix TK41 has the deepest reflector of all. When I got it I was like, wow, and I thought the TK20 had a deep reflector.

The lights are on their lowest settings. The brightest is the TK20, then the X950, then the Fenix TK41. The first picture is to show how their emitters look like.

-WHITE WALL BEAMSHOTS ~4 FT. AWAY-

Lowest brightness settings: Left to right: X950, Fenix TK41, Fenix TK20. Note how X950 and TK20 have similar beams.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/funandlights194.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/funandlights195.jpg/
The beamshots above is the Fenix TK41 at 109 ANSI lumens against the TK20's full 150 lumens. TK20 is still slightly brighter. Note their hotspots.

KITCHEN SHOTS ~10 FT.

Now notice here, at around 10 ft. the Fenix TK41's hotspot is smaller than TK20. I think its because of the TK41's ridiculously deep reflector.

CREE X950: 5 levels- low, mid, high, strobe, sos.

Low- 500 Milliamps Mid- 1 Amp High- 1.5 - 1.6 Amps

FENIX TK20: 2 LEVELS- General and Turbo

Third photo so you can judge/ estimate distance :D

FENIX TK41: 4 LEVELS- 10 lumens, 109 lumens, 355 lumens, 800 lumens (ANSI, meaning OTF)- also 2 blinking modes- strobe and SOS. Strobe is varying, and set at 800 lumens, SOS is 109 lumens

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/funandlights205.jpg/
LOW MID HIGH TURBO

First pic is TK41, much brighter in real life, second is all my lights lighting up my kitchen LOL.
These lights are very powerful, honestly, you just have to see them in action.

WATERPROOF EXAM (ALL FLASHLIGHTS ARE HIGHLY CAPABLE, DUH, THEY ALL GET A++++)

Fenix TK20, my hand is to prove there is water and lights are submerged. Second photo is TK20 and X950. X950 looks blue compared to TK20, hence, I like my TK20.

All the lights taking a bath at the same time. Second picture doesn't do the justice, I mean, in real life, the bathroom lights up more than the 4X 60 watt incandescent bulbs LOL.

MY PERSONAL ARSENAL:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/funandlights226.jpg/
16 AA NIMH batteries, 1 hour charger for the AA (4 at a time charger) 10,000 18650, I only show a few but have much more 18650's. 18650 charger. Case for glasses (can hold up to 4 18650. And a big medication bottle, that is not mine, (can hold 8 AA batteries with room to spare. Also have a voltimeter, not shown.

Something strange:

With 8 batteries fresh of the charger, the carrier only read 5.17 volts. I suspect it is because it is parallel and can run off 4 batteries if in an enemergency.

/

Things to know:

The X950 came with the light, the 18650 charger and two protected 18650 batteries. $70 shipped. Google chinavasion. PM me if you like. :D

I have previously made impression threads of the lights, without pictures, sorry, but now I had a camera. My DSLR was missing the charger, I couldn't find it, so these pictures are taken with a camcorder LOL. Good pictures actually, not bad.

Link to my other threads:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314882-Small-Fenix-TK41-Review-Impressions
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?305784-Chinavasion-FlashMax-X950-review-and-Fenix-TK20-for-comparison.

I hope you guys liked my review. I was due to receive an armytek predator a few weeks ago, so when it arrives I may update this review or make a separate one.

Remember, any questions, just PM or ask me here in this thread, I will be very glad to help you out.

EDIT: Special thanks to Aardvark Sagus for helping me post the pictures! Thanks buddy!

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
Keep up the good work. I rely on third party reviews, such as this, to make decisions on big purchases!

My new TK41 arrived yesterday and it is awesome

Great man! :) Glad you like it.

One thing I forgot to mention, I noticed in the tiny pics (my apologies again), that the TK41's beam looks quite green. Rest assured, my TK41 looks nothing like that. I don't know why it looks like that. I experimented with different color balances, but instead of white how it looks in real life, it was ice cold blue in the pics, so I just went with the slighty green, but forgot to mention this detail, sorry guys.

Since your tk41 arrived yesterday, may I ask if you use rechargables or alkalines? I paid $20 for just 16 nimh. CVS brand, not bad actually. Last a long time. Longest I have ever went using the Fenix on turbo was like 4 weeks. Not a bad price for 16 batteries.

I once recharged some alkalines in that charger. Dead alkalines. Got some dangerous inspiration and attempted to charge them in the charger. :devil: Actually worked!!! Used the alkalines in parallel, and it went on turbo on just 4 batteries! But I honestly won't recommend this, for obvious reasons. You don't want to ruin a $130 flashlight to alkalines. They leak electrolytes because they simply are not designed to be recharged. IIRC, it is due to the relatively thin case of the battery, NIMH's have a much thicker case, because they are designed to be recharged, which, in other words built to withstand the build up of gases released when charging a battery.

But honestly guys, please don't ever try to recharge alkalines. I know I won't. After charging the alkalines, I went online and saw incidents of these things leaking. A lot.

Apart from that, I'm really glad you liked my review. I will post a link in a few days on the Armytek Predator review, and I promise you guys I won't make the pictures small haha.

I will compare the Smooth predator against the Orange Peel predator for you guys in the review. :D

Reason being, many have asked someone to compare the two types of reflectors.

Remember guys, I am always more than happy to answer any questions you may have, best wishes, Firelord777.

Last edited:

aimxplode

Enlightened
Checked the site you recommended, I'll be sure to use it buddy! Thanks! Again, sorry about the small pics.:D

Awesome. If you still have your pictures in high resolution, I would love to see a bigger picture of the underwater tests!

As for the batteries, I use 8x Eneloops in them. I wouldn't dare using alkalines in fear of the leakage :p

firelord777

Enlightened