SF Weapon light HELP!

k9ghost

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of purchasing a Surefire 318lm (3v) dedicated light for a Remmy 870 but I am concerned that it's output is only 100lm. My question is this, does anybody know if is possible to upgrade the head on these units to something brighter. THANKS for any input!

Mdinana

Enlightened
I don't know about that specific light, but believe me, 100 lumens is FINE, esp if you're doing distances < 30-40 yards.

Is this a "home defense" shotgun? If so, set your alarm for 2am. Get your shotgun, (unloaded, or course), and shine it down your hall as if you were aiming down it.

Now decide if you need more.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
If it's like any other product that SureFire makes, I wouldn't be surprised if it made more than the rated 100 lumens that the specs state...

ETA: They list the 200 lumen 618LM for only $5.00 (!) more than 100 lumen 318LM version. Problem solved.

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've got a Surefire weapon mounted light on my 870, not sure which model it is, but I replaced the original incan bulb with a Thrunite XM-L drop-in and it works great. The drop-in is surprisingly bright and has survived repeated range time using 00 buck and slugs. It's a simple swap and very much worth it IMO.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
I don't know about that specific light, but believe me, 100 lumens is FINE, esp if you're doing distances < 30-40 yards.

Is this a "home defense" shotgun? If so, set your alarm for 2am. Get your shotgun, (unloaded, or course), and shine it down your hall as if you were aiming down it.

Now decide if you need more.

This. Especially with the tight TIR optics beam, 100 of Surefire's underrated lumens will be extremely bright indoors with night-adapted vision. I certainly wouldn't go for the 200 lumen model if the light will be used in a home defense role.