Hudson Valley Fireworks Night Hike / Sat. August 6th 6 P.M.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The City of Peekskill is putting on an awesome fireworks show on Saturday, August the 6th, 2011, at nine P.M. I thought it would be pretty cool to do a night hike and avoid the crowds at the Riverfront Green. Here are the important facts and some anticipated questions and answers:

1) Who is this for?

Any CPF member and their family/friends may attend.

2) What is it?

It is a hike which will begin before dusk and end at night.

3) When is it?

Six P.M. Saturday evening, August the sixth.

4) Where is it?

Please meet at the old Bear Mountain toll house at six P.M. Saturday evening. We will leave for the hike at 6:15 P.M., which should give us plenty of time to reach the summit at Anthony's Nose.

Link One

Link Two

5) Why are we doing this?

Ahh, the big question. It involves flashlights and fireworks and hiking, three of my favorite things, and if you are reading this thread, hopefully you share some of those passions!

6) How will we do this?

One foot in front of the other. :crackup:

7) Should I eat before leaving?

Up to you. I recommend either eating a light dinner before and packing snacks, or, packing dinner for the summit and snacking along the way. My preference is to eat at the top as a reward. You should absolutely bring more water than you think you need, and something to munch on.

8) What kind of clothing should I wear?

You should wear strong sneakers or hiking boots, suitable for wet, loose dirt, comfortable, non-abrasive shorts or pants which will not chafe, and you should most definitely bring along something to protect you from precipitation, or, wear clothing which is either impervious to water or which you do not care about getting wet.

9) Will I need sunblock?

No. The sun will be low in the sky.

10) Will I need insect repellent?

Yes. Mosquitoes and ticks are present.

11) How tough is the terrain?

I would call this a medium to difficult hike in terms of its steepness. If you have not gone on a two-hour plus hike before with steep ascents and steep descents or you are not in decent physical condition, you may not fully enjoy this hike.

12) How long will we be on the trail?

If only two or three people show up, it should take a couple hours to reach the summit at Anthony's Nose and another 40 to 50 minutes to descend to the base where the Appalachian Trail intersects Route 9D. If we have a large group, I would say closer to the three hour mark to reach the summit. The hike is about +/- 3.2 miles long.

13) What sort of transportation will we need?

We will leave one or more cars at the destination to drive back to the toll house at the end of the hike.

14) What if it rains?

I will be going rain or shine. I encourage you to examine your own views with respect to getting wet, and, to look at the forecast before coming. If water, wet and/or slippery dirt/rocks and mud bothers you, you may wish to decline.

15) Should I bring a camera?

Put it in a protective/water resistant case, and bring it along! Worst case, you don't use it, best case, we all get some cool photos for this thread!

16) What sort of lights should I bring?

Cool white, neutral white, high CRI, incan, fluorescent, LED, you-like-it-you-bring-it. :) Most of the hiking has blazes on the trees/rocks which are easily seen with a near to medium spread, but there are some areas where the blazes (trail markings) are difficult to spot, and a good thrower becomes essential. Since there are steep portions, I would not bring every light I own: take your favorite hiking light or headlamp, and maybe one or two extra for show and tell.

17) I just saw this thread today. Why didn't you post this a month ago?

I heard about the fireworks show only a couple days ago, while listening to the radio in the doctor's office. I thought it would be better to make a little CPF outing out of it, and if people can come, cool. If not—oh well, it was worth a shot.

18) How far will we be from the fireworks?

The Riverfront Green is about three miles away. The fireworks will be launched at about sea level, from barges in the Hudson River or from shore. We will be at approximately 872 feet.

19) What if I start the hike and get too tired to finish? Will you carry me down to the bottom on a silk bed? Can we yell and scream and make a large ruckus on the trail?

Unfortunately, no. If you come, you are responsible for your own person, and if you bring others with you, you are responsible for them and their behavior. I do not think of myself as a mean spirited individual, but I do believe that CPF'ers are for the most part model citizens, and I would expect propriety towards other hikers, plants, animals, and oneself when on the hike. :thumbsup:

20) I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it, but I live about an hour away, and am toying with showing up without posting here. Is that cool?

Do it! I'll be leaving at 6:15 P.M.

21) I have a question which you did not answer. What should I do?

Ask away!

Here are some helpful links:

The Weather

Information on the Hike

Directions to the Toll House

The Summit, A.K.A. Anthony's Nose

Confirmed Hikers List

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Re: Hudson Valley Fireworks Night Hike / Sat. August 5th 6 P.M.

Led i'm not trying to short the batteries in your lights but just confirm your date, Today is the 5th Sat is the 6th. Don't want anyone to get confused and miss a nite out

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

THANK YOU!

Correcting right now.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

Your welcome, anytime. Sounds like fun

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

For some reason although the date appears correct now in the body of the first post, the main thread title isn't correct. Is there a mod who can help, please? It should read

" Hudson Valley Fireworks Night Hike / Sat. August 6th 6 P.M. "

EDIT: Okay, looks right now! :)

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 4:54 P.M. EDT, stormpulse.com shows a giant blob of rainy goodness heading east. It would appear I am going to be getting wet. :crazy: Will they still be shooting off the fireworks from the barges in the Hudson? Not sure. I called the Peekskill police department, and they said it depended on the amount of precipitation coming down around nine P.M. The second time I did this hike when it rained a lot I found the scenery quite beautiful. I am packing water and snacks and putting on bug repellent, and we'll see who else shows up at the parking lot at the old toll house.

I'll be carrying an L-Mini II with gunga's magic touch (modded by him) as my primary light, and a Pelican 2440 as backup. My AW 2200 li-cos are getting up there in years, and I need to sell something before I can buy the new 3100 cells. I purchased the 2440 in an army surplus shop in Bozeman, Montana, and I keep it in my hiking pack at all times. We'll see if she gets some use tonight.

At any rate, I really haven't found a time of year when the view of the Hudson River isn't beautiful, so if anyone shows up, I would be happy to share it with you and your lights. :)

I'm officially checking out from this thread. Hope to see at least one other person at the toll house at 6:15 P.M. :grin2:

LEDAdd1ct

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Normally I'd have been totally up for this but I am far away from NY this week. Maybe next time!

I hope you had a good night hike!