Petzl tikka2/zipka2 CORE upgrade?

injal

Newly Enlightened
I have both Tikka and Zipka's from previous generations...
I recently inherited a Petzl CORE battery, and am contemplating upgrading so I can use the CORE module. I am intrigued by the dynamic regulation abilities, but dismayed by the upgrade price. Other than the "geek" factor, is the upgrade a significant improvement as far as performance is concerned?

carrot

Flashaholic
I have one and it works great. Not much to say about it since I cannot create runtime graphs (no equipment) except that it does seem to work as advertised. I do like the battery meter on it too.

oricum

Newly Enlightened
Does using the CORE module require any change to the headlamp or is it just a battery replacement?

Kym
Take a look at this (minute 3:38), looks like it's just a battery replacement.

carrot

Flashaholic
You simply remove the battery door, attach the CORE battery onto the headlamp, and then snap the battery door onto the CORE. A bit scary to do at first, but easy enough.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how does this light work with the computer to program it's brightness and how low can you program it to go and what is the runtime on the lowest level?

nguyet16

Newly Enlightened
I recently went on a 7 days rafting/camping trip in the Arkansas river,and brought along the tikka2 with core.I also have the goal zero solar charger but have not needed it,the tikka was very useful especially setting tent at night where both free hands are needed.

carrot

Flashaholic
So how does this light work with the computer to program it's brightness and how low can you program it to go and what is the runtime on the lowest level?

I may have answered your question here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...on-AA-or-AAA&p=3751440&viewfull=1#post3751440

As for programming it, you just download the software from the Petzl website (it runs on the Adobe AIR platform, which works on Windows, OSX and Linux), plug it into computer via an included USB micro cable, and drag sliders around. It also lets you test them before saving the output level, so you can try them out first.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
I've had a Tikkina2 and a Tikka2 for several years. I love using them for reading and small tasks at night, but they really burn through batteries like crazy. This CORE battery is a really great idea, I think I might pick one up. Though it will make the light bulkier, and heavier in the front. Guess I'll just have to see whether it pans out as "better" or not.

Hmm, $40 on KS's site.
http://www.karstsports.com/pee9accoba.html

I wonder if it's cheaper anywhere else.

Therrin

Newly Enlightened
Just saw that about 15 mins after I posted here =P Thx. Oakland isn't far from me too.

I'm only hesitant at spending twice as much for a battery as I spent on a headlamp. hehe

gdconley

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been watching the headlamp market lately, so pardon me if this is a silly question - but will this battery work with the Tikka XP? I've done some searching, but I still can't tell what the major difference is with the XP2.. Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I haven't been watching the headlamp market lately, so pardon me if this is a silly question - but will this battery work with the Tikka XP? I've done some searching, but I still can't tell what the major difference is with the XP2.. Thanks!

See the link in post 10.

Bill

carrot

Flashaholic

No. The XP and XP2 are very different. The CORE snaps into the battery case of the XP2 and other 2-series Tikka lights from Petzl.