Another basic triple E2e build (Beam shots added)

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I just can't stop building these things! The build theory on this one was to use the shining beam 3 mode driver (2.8A on high, LEDs wired in parallel) with some LEDsupply XP-G R5 triples to make a cool white burner. I had begun this build some time ago and just had not finished some of the delicate details of the build. While it is simple in theory to make a large part of the difficulty is getting the negative contact to make proper ground. I had considered making these for sale at a larger scale but have found they are too labor intensive (or I'm not a good enough machinist) to produce in large quantities. On a side note, the little jig I used to hold the driver and snug I picked up from harbor freight helps tremendously to hold little projects like this one. I'd strongly recommend one to any modder.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Another basic triple E2e build.

Very clean and nicely put together. What's the clamp/holder called? I need to get one of those too and HF has awesome prices.

Illum

Flashaholic

very nice work!

I have long considered to put a 3-up endor star in an E head, but none of my heatsink ideas came out as pretty as this :grin2:

Last edited:

lewong

Newly Enlightened

foxtrot824, that's a great build. Is the heat sink a piece of copper you machined? I'd guess the labor intensive part is cleaning out the metal on the bezel?

badtziscool, on HF, t's called a Universal Work Holder. Google peg Vise or peg clamp.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

foxtrot824, that's a great build. Is the heat sink a piece of copper you machined? I'd guess the labor intensive part is cleaning out the metal on the bezel?

badtziscool, on HF, t's called a Universal Work Holder. Google peg Vise or peg clamp.

Funny enough the harder part was holding the copper sung, because it's small it's hard to get a good grip on it with the jaws of the chuck. The head I just screw onto an Aleph body and bore it out, after all it's aluminum and very soft.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

A few beam shots for reference.

F8 exp. 1/13 ISO 100

On the left is a my other XP-G triple neutral on low and the XP-G triple cool on the right also on low

On the left is the XP-G triple on low and my XM-L E1e on low.

On the left is the cool white triple, the middle is the neutral and on the right the XM-L. All 3 are driven by shinning beam 2.8A 3 mode driver.

foxtrot824

Enlightened

Finally had a chance to take a few beam shots! Many thanks to my photographer who helped make this possible. For all of the photos the camera was on a tripod and not moved, the flashlights were also in the same place each time. The shots were taken in sets of two, one as a wide shot of the entire spread and one up close of the spot.

The settings were kept constant in all of the photos and were as following ISO 100, 1.3 sec exposure F=9

First is a dark control shot

Next is a 2D LED mag focused as tightly as possible.

Same mag and focus but close up

Here is the triple on hi on a fresh 17670 1800mA Ultrafire

Now the up close shot of the same

Any questions welcome. This build will most likely be for sale in the B/S/T in the next few days.

Last edited: