Dimming Luxeons? PWM or lower current or voltage?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
In the Eternalight topic someone mentioned liking the dimming function. I know Eternalights and the PT Aurora use PWM (pulse width modulation, sort of strobing) is that the best way to really dim a Luxeon or can it be done by dropping the current or voltage.
How do Palights dim?
Does anyone know how Arc's new LS4 will dim?
Thanks for any info

B@rt

Flashaholic
I think the advantage of dimming using pwm is there is no color shifting, as would occur with dimming using other means.

Both the PALight and the new LS4 use pwm AFAIK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope this helps,

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bart, I wasn't sure about the PALight (spelling correction noted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). With the EternaLight and the Aurora I have noticed the pulsing when moving the light, sort of a trail of spots. I haven't tried to see it with the PAL but I thought I might have noticed it. I did with the other two, without trying.

Streak

Enlightened
I have used the circuit that the Aurora uses to turn my LS into a multifunction light, dimming, strobing, auto off etc.

I still need to build it into a decent housing.

The nice thing about using PWM is that you first decide how you want to drive the LS at maximum ie. what voltage with what resistor/regulator etc. Then just place the PWM circuit in line and off you go.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
Then just place the PWM circuit in line and off you go.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't that be and off and on and off and on.... you go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
So you have this on a bench right now? How dim will it go before the strobe effect is noticable? Thanks