Thinking green, how and where to throw our dead batteries?

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellows, were I am is very hard to find were, safety to the planet throw the dead batteries, I think most of ours had the same problem, I will like to open this thread to put together all the info we can to help a little were we live.

For me is ok that I can shipp my batteries to any place in the world were the batteries can be recycled.

I have a lot of batteries waiting for the right place...

czAtlantis

Enlightened
In my local electronics shop they have big box for them. Even i my (new) school there is box called "bad batteries"...and I hope they will dispose them properly and not just throw them in river. But to be honest, I just put in these boxes battereis once, I throw them in communal waste :eek: :sssh:

Papuga

Newly Enlightened
I take mine to Best-Buy, they have a big collection box and the don't look at you luke you are crazy when you bring a pail of old batteries.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
I throw my NiCd,NiMH directly into the public trash bin since theres no recycle box around here

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure where you guys are from, but LOWES has a bin for batteries right near the returns desk.

Napalm

Enlightened
Most places here have some kind of battery recycling boxes, and Home Depot will also take the power tool battery packs.

IIRC the only batteries I've ever thrown in the trash were some watch cells.

Nap.

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Please recycle NiCad batteries, they are quite toxic.... nearest cell phone store or power tool store should have an idea where they should be sent. NiMh is ok in the trash, if you must, recycle if a depot is available. Lithium Ion etc., is fine in the trash, but please discharge fully first to avoid "vent with flame" issues. If the cell has a protection circuit, please remove/disable the circuit first to ensure the cell is fully discharged. A small lightbulb is a convenient drain... something reasonable though.... not a 200W/220V bulb, but rather something in the auto tail light bulb area should be fine. If the local hazardous waste takes NiMH and LiXXX cells, no reason not to take them there.

Regards

Christian

vali

Enlightened
We have battery recycle boxes in most general stores I can think of, plus some big containers in the street just dedicated to it.

CKOD

Enlightened
I put em in a small box, and drop them in the power tool battery collection point at the local home improvement store.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellows, were I am is very hard to find were, safety to the planet throw the dead batteries, I think most of ours had the same problem, I will like to open this thread to put together all the info we can to help a little were we live.

For me is ok that I can shipp my batteries to any place in the world were the batteries can be recycled.

I have a lot of batteries waiting for the right place...

Changchung, Good man to be concerned about this. Thanks for starting this thread. I was not aware there were places where it is hard to recycle. Just curious where you are located?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that the local RC hobby store recycled. Inquired and they said that they recycled them in-so-far-as they like to hammer nails into them and stuff like that.

I think RadioShack recycles cells too.

I like to tape at least one end of the cell so that only one electrode is exposed, to lower possibility of other batteries shorting mine out.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to statistics (in the UK) only 3% to 5% of all household batteries are recycled ... People in general can't be bothered to take a few used batteries to a local disposal point ... It is just laziness on their behalf ... They just assume that their couple of AA cells won't cause a problem ... After Christmas , there must be many thousands of used batteries that are just put out with the general household rubbish ... It is so easy to put the used , unwanted or dead cells into a box or polythene bag and when you have accumulated a few just take them (when convenient) to a disposal point ...

Battery sellers in the UK are "encouraged" by the government to provide facilities to recycle household batteries.

In the UK the following shops provide battery recycling facilities...... Poundland , Lidls , Tesco , Morrisons , Boots , Argos , John Lewis , Waitrose , Homebase , Robert Dyas , Aldi and Netto ... There are probably more than this though ... So , in the UK , there is no excuse for throwing the batteries out in the trash.

I notice that my local Lidls store always has a battery disposal box available to us ... This is very convenient as the shop is only half a mile away and I'm there at least once a week ... Their Mango Chutney and their Ice Creams are great by the way ... I have mentioned this several times on CPF.