Favorite Drop-In for G2Z

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I have a Surefire G2Z which I keep in the outside pocket of my bail out / get home bag.
I'll generally have a multi-mode EDC light (JETBeam E3S or EagleTac P20C2MKII Warm) on my person, as well as a Maratac AAA 3-mode in a tool pouch within the bag.

The purpose of the G2Z is to ALWAYS work - switch it on, have light for emergency tasks. These emergencies could take place indoors, but are likely to be outdoors. I recently took a walk (overcast night, remote area - no streetlights) and thought it didn't put out very much light. It was acceptable lighting my path, but anything that went "bump" in the distance stayed dark. Very ringy, no flood, but also not much throw. Also, the runtime with the P60 isn't great.
So, I'm looking for a drop-in.

As the light is plastic, the brightest Malkoff's and anything by Nailbender are excluded from my list. I'm much more interested in quality than quantity, so I'm not interested in anything from DX.

Top contenders are M61WL, M61L HCRI, M61WLL, or M61LL HCRI.

I see BJ/TI's D1000 lists the G2Z as a possible host, but am concerned about the heat dissipation. Also, with that output, runtime may not be as long as I need. Anyone have any experience with it?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks for the help!

- Tom

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I wouldn't agree with your assesment of the P60, I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade to an LED. I see you are considering the malkoff's, which is probably you're best bet. Since you are using the stock nitrolon bezel, you will be limited to short runs with the higher powered drop in's. I believe that you'll be fine with any of the malkoff L's, though I would keep a close eye and make sure it isn't getting too hot. Out of your top contenders, the M61WL HCRI will be the best choice, espically considering your light is going to be used outdoors. If you really wanted the higher ouput models, you could get the full bore malkoff's, but you would be limited to shorter run's because of heat. Regardless of what drop in you get, an aluminum bezel for your G2Z isn't that expensive or hard to find, I would recommend gettting one.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Just my 2 cents I'm rocking the P60L on my G2Z on 2 RCR123s. It works great. Here it is with a Xeno Plain Bezel and a G2X clicky tailcap.

G2Z.jpg

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Although I wouldn't agree with your assessment (sic) of the P60...

Thanks ebow.
For this light, I'm actually not looking for the highest output - simply "enough" output, and longer runtime.
I have an M61W in my 6P. When I discovered that it originally had a P60 in it I thought it was amazing "for an incan." I really WANT to like the incandescent light, but after having gotten used to some 150-250 lumen LED lights, each time I turn a P60 on, I wonder where the rest of the illumination is. I figure, in time, I'll realize that they really do offer all I need - so I'm keeping them in a safe place, until that day.
If they didn't cost more than I spent on the light, I'd pick up an M61WL and an M61LL HCRI and alternate until I settle on one. But for the price of a Malkoff and an add'l SF body to house it, I can get a powerful, well-reviewed, multi-mode, great performing torch from ArmyTek, EagleTac, Fenix, 4Sevens, and on and on, so I just can't justify it to myself at this time.
I've considered the Al bezel, too. Ideally, yes, I'd like one. But they still don't recommend full-bore Malkoffs or Nailbenders in a plastic body, even with one, and the return on investment strikes me as rather low, considering the discount price of the light.
Still, I very much appreciate your insight, and will keep my eyes peeled for the reappearance of the M61L HCRI.
- Tom