My latest use for a green laser!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a green pointer laser. It's been a toy mainly. Lately I've gotten back into astronomy after a few years of being away from it.

I mounted a green laser to the telescope and now I rarely use the finder scope. I know the Constellations fairly well and use some software on my PC to see what the stars look like on any particular night and pick out what I want to try to find that night.

With the green laser attached all I have to do is turn it on for a few seconds (making sure there are no airplanes around) and point the laser at where I know the object to be.

Then all I have to do is look thought the telescope to fine tune the search. Many objects are straight up and it's uncomfortable to use the finder scope in this position. Using the telescope with laser attached is much faster and easier.

Stereo Joe

Newly Enlightened
That's a really cool idea. I may just 'borrow' it from you... I studied astronomy a bit in some university courses and I've been wanting to get back into it lately. I dug out my telescope recently but couldn't find the little scope. Maybe I'll just put a laser into the scope mount!