Klarus Mi X6 w/ 10440 Battery?

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I just bought a Klarus Mi X6 (XP-G R5) and would like to try the 10440 for higher brightness. On the manufacturer's website, it says the use of 10440 is not recommended.

I am aware of the risks associated with using Li-on batteries. And I am only gonna use it for short intervals (30-60 seconds).

Did anyone try it yet? Is is possible a 10440 would ruin the light even if used in short intervals? And does the protected 10440 fit?

Finally, I stumbled upon 3V AAA Alkaline battery from Eveready and wonder if it would work or not? http://www.stockbuggy.com/Eveready_Gold_AAA_12_Pack_Batteries_p/evea92bp12h.htm

Your feedback is appreciated.

Best regards,
Saad

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Klarus Mi X6 w/ 3V AAA Alkaline Battery?

Cannot tell you anything about your light, but those AAA's you reference are not 3v. They are standard 1.5v AAA's. There is a typo in that ad!;;p).

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the tip. It is indeed a 1.5V battery.

HIDblue

Enlightened

I used a 10440 in my 4Sevens Preon for at least a year and was super impressed with the output, but the light stopped working last week. Not sure if it was the 10440 that caused the malfunction or just the light, but just FYI...

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened

@HIDblue: I have read that many CPF used 10440 in their Preons and LD01s without having any problems given they only use it for short periods of time. It is weird that your Preon only lasted a year. I have read somewhere that 10440s may reduce LED life time from 50k hrs to somewhere between 30k and 40k, which should last way more than a year.

Thanks for your feedback.

Any one with a Klarus Mi X6 tried the 10440, or at least know if the light can handle it?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an Mi X6 but never tried a 10440 in it because the manufacturer does not recommend it. Additionally the steel body does not seem a good mean of dissipating the heat. BTW one possible problem is indeed the heat but this can be controlled by using the light only for short bursts, but if the circuit can not handle the much higher voltage it will burn immediately.
Because the light has no spring at the bottom of the body it is likely that the protection circuit of the cell gets crushed while you tighten the head.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The MiX6 circuit is almost identical to the Preon Revo. It is NOT like the regular Preon.
The Preon Revo also would NOT accept the 10440 batteries, and it was asked directly to the mfr rep if it would, and he said "No".
The regular Preon circuit is different than the Preon Revo and MiX6.

I would not put a 10440 in the MiX6, if you expect it to live.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bad idea...

The Preon 1 can run on li-ion but NOT the preon REVO. A light that is controlled by PWM (like the preon 1 or the mini) is often capable of supporting 4,2 volts. The preon REVO and the MI X6 is current controlled (NOT PWM) and need a fixed voltage (1,2 to 1,7 v max). I'm positive you would end up frying the circuit.

Last edited:

aljebreensh

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone for your replies. I almost tried the 10440 in my MIi X6. I guess I'll just settle with the 85 lumens cause I don't wanna fry a $50 light.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

pindurs

Newly Enlightened

Thanks everyone for your replies. I almost tried the 10440 in my MIi X6. I guess I'll just settle with the 85 lumens cause I don't wanna fry a $50 light.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for answering such an old question, but I'm trying on mine for 2 days and it works very well. Quite hot, but very bright.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I've been running 10440 in the Mi6 for years now, and, its fine.

Can't swear mine's special or not, but, its unmodded and the Mi6 came free with another Klarus. It jumped it from the OEM lumens to ~ 300 L or so.

YES, on hi, its going to get HOT...so, you use the lower settings unless you NEED that 300 L.

As a key chain light...to find say, um, keys, the low is fine on the 10440 for example....but if you open the door, and want to see the entire room, a quick twist to hi pops the lights on for you, etc.

So, to walk the dog, a lower setting will be practical, for a short walk at least...with that high for back up if you need a quick look out further, etc...but keychain lights are, for me at least, not meant as EDC so much as making sure if you leave with your keys, you have a light.

:D

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast

My probably 4-5 year-old Fenix LD01 works great with 10440. It's much brighter than with AAA, but gets hot fairly fast.

On the other hand my brand new Fenix LD02 won't run at all on 10440. Loading a 10440 into the light doesn't damage it, but no light comes out when the button is depressed. It only works with 1.5v AAA.