Fenix doing any future upgrades or changes to the TK35 model

Hacken

Enlightened
do you guys think Fenix will be doing any future upgrades or changes to the TK35 model by getting rid of the greenish tint or simple upgrade to higher lumens? I would like for them to get rid of the ugly greenish tint and replacing it with a white tint instead..

flashflood

Enlightened
do you guys think Fenix will be doing any future upgrades or changes to the TK35 model by getting rid of the greenish tint or simple upgrade to higher lumens? I would like for them to get rid of the ugly greenish tint and replacing it with a white tint instead..

I bought one a couple months ago and it's not green at all. This seems to have been a common problem with early XM-L LEDs, but not recently. However, it does seem to be a recurring theme whenever Cree introduces a new top flux bin. I have thus far avoided XM-L U2 and XP-G S2 for exactly this reason.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like the same for TK50. I like the long runtime and it's an extreme thrower, but that's it. The greenish makes the spill at all levels uncomfortable for the eyes, and I never want to use it at short distance at the lower modes.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Mine has no green tint. I think with the maturity of the XM-L production, they will get some control over the tints they order.
With 820 ANSI Lumen the XM-L is driven at (or close to) the maximum specified current. Fenix won't risk driving the LED outside it's specification because this can cause liability problems for a company. Therefore they won't increase the brightness, unless XM-Ls with higher flux bins like U4 or U5 become available.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect Fenix will keep producing there winner TK 35 with different LED's as new ones come out in the future.
As far as the green tint, mine has it too. Bad.
I have found sometimes the shape of the reflector has an effect on tint. I upgraded my Olight Warrior to the XML U2 emitter recently. Nice white beam with slight yellow tint. When I traded the OP reflector it came with to the old smooth one, it ended up with a greenish tint. I switched back to the OP reflector, green tint gone. My TK 35 has a smooth reflector. Maybe a different Orange Peel reflector would clean up the green tint ?

Here are a few lines selfbuilt wrote about the green tint in his TK 35 review.

The other cost issue is tint. There are never any guarantees here – but some makers do pay extra to insure specific "premium" cool white tint bins are used. In my experience, Fenix doesn't typically do this (although to be fair, they are also a much higher volume manufacturer, and therefore have to go with what's available). I bring this up only because my TK35 sample has the most greenish tint that I've ever seen in all my flashlight testing. What this suggests to me is that you can therefore expect a very wide range of possible tints on the TK35 – caveat emptor.

Last edited:

veedo

Newly Enlightened
i have 2 tk35's. the first one i bought a couple weeks ago from ebay. it has a nice perfect white beam. i bought one a couple days ago used from the marketplace. the tint is green and there is a dark ring in the hotspot. it almost seems dimmer too.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only person who always gets nice, bright creamy or yellow-white tints from Fenix, every time I buy a light? :D

All the way back to the L1P group buy, to the P3D RB100, to now... nothing but great colors and a lot of light from the Fenix lights I've gotten. Mind you, I suspect they'll probably get better tints once the XM-L production settles down, the way the XP-G R5's eventually did.

Hacken

Enlightened
yeah..lucky for those of you that have the 35 with white tint.. gosh that green tiny kills..

Onebadengine

Newly Enlightened
Mine also has the most greenish tint that I have ever seen with a dark spot inside the hot spot, the beam is kind of doughnut shaped. I really like everything else about the light, would probably be my favorite medium sized light if I could get rid of the green tint and the dark spot taken care of. Wish I had the Olight sr51's beam in the Fenix

Is there a way to fix this problem? How hard would it be to swap out to another xml?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated, thanks