Cheers to the Microstream

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been doing a good bit of walking early in the AM before it's light or after dark at night and the little 1 AAA Streamlight Microstream has become my go to light. The Microstream is easy to carry in a T shirt pocket and weighs almost nothing. Run time on a AAA eneloop is over 3 hrs. It's only 45 lumens which is not much by today's standards, but is plenty for my purposes. Most of the places I walk have street lights so I don't really need a light very often in these areas and I don't like to use any more light than I need on unlit trails as to not attract attention or disturb anyone in near by homes. I use momentary almost exclusively to give a burst of light to check the stretch of trail ahead and then shut it off to try and keep as much adapted night vision as I can.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Microstream is a great flashlight. I kept losing them so tried another brand of 1aaa, which I don't lose for whatever reason. My first one was 12 lumens.

So, this thread just cost me $21 for a red 45 lumen microstream. Never tried a red body one.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's a way to make the microstream a little easier to turn on/off. Wish I remember who here showed this so they could get the credit.

Tools needed: an old plastic card like a rewards card, a single hole puncher and a pencil with eraser.

IMG_1811.jpeg

- Disassemble the top and bottom portion of the tailcap. Remove the boot. (Button cover)

- Punch a hole in a plastic card and keep the "coupon" (the punched plastic).

IMG_1812.jpeg

- Use the pencil eraser to push the coupon into the boot.

- Push the boot back into the top half of the tailcap with the pencil eraser.

- Reassemble the tailcap.

Your microstream (or stylus pro) on/off switch will have about half the travel it had when new.
A word of caution, if you trouser pocket carry it, it now activates to momentary much easier.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will have to give that a try, thanks.

That red MS looks real nice!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have been doing a good bit of walking early in the AM before it's light or after dark at night and the little 1 AAA Streamlight Microstream has become my go to light. The Microstream is easy to carry in a T shirt pocket and weighs almost nothing. Run time on a AAA eneloop is over 3 hrs. It's only 45 lumens which is not much by today's standards, but is plenty for my purposes. Most of the places I walk have street lights so I don't really need a light very often in these areas and I don't like to use any more light than I need on unlit trails as to not attract attention or disturb anyone in near by homes. I use momentary almost exclusively to give a burst of light to check the stretch of trail ahead and then shut it off to try and keep as much adapted night vision as I can.
A very underrated little light. One of the few out there with a two-way clip that's actually comfortable to clip onto the brim of a baseball cap or trucker hat to use as an improvised head-lamp. And, for a lot longer than just a few seconds.