Best versatile light...good flood/and throw

Westernmdhardwoods

Newly Enlightened
Well i am still nosing around at all these lights and have more questions....?

I see how alot of lights have awesome throw, they will reach out there.

I however believe the light that would best suit me will need to light up the area around me and 25yrds ahead of me, BUT I want that option of being able to see a long ways also.

Do they make such a light for this?

Re: Best versatile light...good flood/and throw

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jackasper
There are a million lights out there that are in the 4" to 6" range with good throw and decent spill. I guess you'd have to be more clear on your definition of "exotic" because alot of the brighter ones run 18650's and to some, those (Li-ion) may be considered exotic. What I get from your post is that you may be looking for a focusable light that uses primary batteries and is pocketable. I'll throw one out there ... LED Lenser P5. Uses 1 AA, easily focused, throws about 100 yards and is very pocketable. My wife loves hers. They cost around $30... good luck

Yeah i wasnt too specific...sorry. Lets try this again. I am pretty much asking the same questions I asked a few days ago, but the more and more I look at all these lights the more I find out how different each one is.
Therefore after reading about more lights I have a better idea of what I want now....

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
__x__Less than $100. ($75 would make me happy, but if I have to spend $25 more for a better light then ok)
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
____I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.) (These are exotic too me as I dont believe I can buy them at too many places locally here.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens). (Atleast this much)
__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens). (This would be nice...as long as it is'nt too much like a spotlight and has good spill)
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-40 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
__X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical) (Oh high this would be fine, as long as theres another option that is still bright too give me as much runtime as possible)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.) (Ideal)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.) (This would'nt bother me either)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__x__I don't care. (I would be using this light in cold weather, so if possible something I could add atleast a rubber liner or something too..? If not possible theres always gloves)
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
__x__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
There are a million lights out there that are in the 4" to 6" range with good throw and decent spill. I guess you'd have to be more clear on your definition of "exotic" because alot of the brighter ones run 18650's and to some, those (Li-ion) may be considered exotic. What I get from your post is that you may be looking for a focusable light that uses primary batteries and is pocketable. I'll throw one out there ... LED Lenser P5. Uses 1 AA, easily focused, throws about 100 yards and is very pocketable. My wife loves hers. They cost around $30... good luck

Vesper

Enlightened
A light that will blast with both impressive flood and throw requires a ton of lumens, enough to quickly put you out of your price range and comfortable EDC-ability. You might look at the Quarks (regular and tactical versions). Their reflectors are sized to offer the best of both worlds and are pretty damn bright for their size (or very low if your prefer). For your requirements you might look at the AA2 or 123-2, depending on what battery you prefer. The price is also right. There are a ton of options like mentioned, but the above is a good place to start. You can get closer to your goals by increasing the size of the light, so it just depends on your preferences and spending limit.

Check these out too for lots more ideas:

Selfbuilt's 100-Yard Outdoor Beamshots 2011 - NEW!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316295

fonarik.com
http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php

Edit: oh yea look up the "Klarus XT10 Dual Switch Tactical LED Flashlight". It is a great light the might fit the bill for you and it's $80. Great throw but also good spill where you need it.

Last edited:

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hello Westernmdhardwoods,

If no one has done so yet, on behalf of the community, I welcome you to CPF.

Based on the relatively lower price point, the guys here both have provided nice options out of multitude from which to chhose. I don't know the LED Lenser at all, but I'm a fan of Klarus. However, the only downside that I can determine with the XT10 is a lack of memory mode (where it saves the last mode you had it on, before switcing if off).

Please feel free to PM me if I can be of service in finding the right light for your needs.

All the best,
John

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
Ok, thats better. Now that you have specified a few things I'll re-recommend a light that I have and really like. Eagletac P20c2 MKII with XM-L. Beautiful light, runs on lithium primaries and is right at your budget. Again though, there are going to be alot of good lights in this range that you have, including the ones that the guys have listed above... have fun !!

Westernmdhardwoods

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys thanks for the help, I have three lights picked as of right now to do a little more research on. If and when I get stuck thinking on which one I will be back with more questions!

jcalvert

Enlightened
Consistent with what Jack states, there are many quality lights available that will likely meet your needs. It's helpful to read the reviews of the qualities and features of several lights in your price range to help you determine the features that make sense for your needs. You could start here as a point of reference: http://flashlightreviews.ca/

The ET P20C2 MKII is one of them. :thumbsup: I have one for myself and one for my wife. ET also provides a bunch of useful accessories including an easy-to-screw-on diffuser lens that when used with the XM-L module, creates a room-filling beam when needed. As many as nine different LED modules are now available that you can buy separately. See here for more info: http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26950.html.

Have fun with your research and best wishes!

-John