SC51: Accidential Activation Elimination

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC51 was near the top of my short list of favorite EDCs. It has a great UI, with easy to access high mode - too easy actually. The only thing keeping it from being at the top of my EDC list was the fact that it would come on in my pocket when it bumped up against a pocketknife, keys, my phone or whatever else was sharing space with it. To make matters worse, with the great UI it has it will come on in high mode with the kind of quick bump the switch gets when dancing with other objects in your pocket. Since the high is really high for a single AA light, it also means that the battery gets run down fast while lighting up the inside of your pocket. Twice when I needed to use my light, it had very little juice left. It used to come on accidentally about once a day. Until...

http://imageshack.us

Since I did the mod over two weeks ago, it hasn't come on once by accident, yet turning it on isn't any harder than it was before, although I haven't tried it with gloves. It is now my favorite EDC, passing a D10 [ramping w shortcuts] and a Peak Rainier. The mod will be completely reversible, though I can't imagine why I might want to do that!

It wasn't that hard once I figured out where to get the raw material. I needed thin wall aluminum tube of just the right diameter.... SKI POLES. I had a few second string ones I had saved - always knew they would come in handy. They taper near the bottom, giving me variable diameters.
Cut a thin slice, sand it a little, some carefully placed hot glue - problem solved!

Regards,
Thrifty

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: SC51: Accidential Activation Elimination - the Thrifty Way

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Unfortunately I throw away broken things and I will have to look for something else ...