dumb question will a maelstrom g5 body work with the quark series heads and tailcaps?

yayo0812

Newly Enlightened
Probably a stupid question but I haven't seen a 18650 body for a quark available in a while and this seems like it would make sense. Anyone have any clue? Or where I can get a quark 18650 body? I probably already know the answer but I'm a bit curious.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
4sevens had a 18650 body at one time but has since discontinued it:mad:
I don't know about the g5 body compatibility.
the only way is to try a quark and malstrom g5/x7

Oh yeah.....I have asked stupider questions than that......

Last edited:

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Not a stupid question :)
I too wish 4Sevens would bring back the Quark 18650 body.
It was a limited run item which is now discontinued. From searching these forums and asking similar questions I have found that:

1) They have no intentions (at least right now) to make another production run. Their current offerings for 18650 compatibility are they G5/X7 and that is what they want to market right now.
2) It was a complicated design due to the diameter requirements of the cell and the o-ring seat in the Quark body size (which they wanted to keep sleek). If they just drilled the Quark body tube through it would cut into the o-ring seat and the threads on each end, so they lengthened the tube to keep the body and the threads on the ends the same size (about the same length tube as the aa^2 tube) and in the center they made a compartment for the wider battery to fit into. This required an extra set of threads on the ends on the center compartment.
3) The complicated design was costly to manufacture and they (presumably) did not make much profit on the tube. They at the time wanted to satisfy the limited enthusiast market, which despite the impression we can get on these forums is, overall, a limited market.
4) They had some problems with some of the tubes and their legoing compatibility with other Quark heads and tail caps (particularly the limited edition warm tinted Quark Turbo heads that apparently had trapezoidal threads).
5) On some tubes the mid-section threads were not very tight and when a user went to loosen the flashlight head to change modes (Tactical UI) or mode sets (Regular UI), the threads connecting the head to the adapter were tighter than the threads connecting the adapter to the mid-section containing the battery. Thus instead of the head loosening to change modes, the battery compartment loosened from the adapter threaded into the head.

From what I can tell, these things combined, despite the apparent continued demand for the item amongst enthusiasts, led 4Sevens to discontinue the product. They continue to offer the Quark in its originally designed form factor, which includes thinness, and which clashes with 18650 compatibility (compare similar lights that are 18650 compatible that are 2mm or more wider and slightly longer). I have to remind my self that flashaholics like us are not the only market a flashlight company like 4Sevens has to consider.

You can pick one up from time to time in the market place if you are willing to pay for it.

Welcome btw!

Last edited: