4 Sevens Quark "X" Review

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4 Sevens Quark X Review

The Quark series of flashlights expands again. 4 Sevens has added another Cree XM-L LED based flashlight to their line-up, The Quark.X. Available in two cell CR123 or two cell AA formats.

. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .. . . . . 4 Sevens XM-L line-up.
. . .. . .Shown Left to Right: Quark MiniX123, Quark TurboX123,
. . . Maelstrom X7, Maelstrom X10, Quark X AA-2, & Quark X 123-2
. . . .* Please click photo thumbnails to enlarge *

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . .. Quark.X AA-2. &. Quark.X 123-2 Tactical

The Quark series of flashlights are high quality, excellent design, and offer a variety of accessories that enable the end user to reconfigure it. Whether carried as a backup or a primary EDC light, the Quark series of lights perform well.

The production samples sent did not have packaging, but they do list the Quark X comes with same standard accessories on thier website. A Holster, Handgrip, Lanyard, two spare Orings, Manual, and one set of Batteries. The Quark X is compatable with all of 4 Sevens Quark accessories.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . Quark.X Standard Accessories

. .There are two different Sub-Series of the Quark.X available.
QX1s.jpg

The "Tactical" and the "Regular".Each has it's own unique User Interface. Both UI's switch between two modes by using Bezel Head tight for Mode A, and Bezel Head loose for Mode B.

The Tactical UI has two modes, and one of the eight programable fully regulated brighness functions available for each mode, and features a momentary on protruding tactical forward clickie switch that allows signaling.

The Regular UI has two modes, Max and Strobe on first mode, and the other 6 levels on the second mode, and features a standard switch with a reverse clickie that gives you momentary off to switch brigtness levels and is flat to tailstand.

. . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
..Quark.X AA-2 Top & Quark.X 123-2 Tactical Bottom

The current Quark.X design is almost identical to the previous Quark flashlights. The first noticeable difference is the twice as big XM-L emitter. The second difference is the reflectors surface. The Quark.X is more of a wrinkle smoother styled versus the previous Quarks that have more Orange Peel styled reflectors.
For reference this same reflector characteristics were also noticed between the Quark.Mini.123 and the Quark.Mini.X123.

. .
. . . .. . . . .
. . . . .Reflector Texture Difference Photos

The knurling on these two samples is supurb. It feels sharper and gippier than many previous AA-2 and 123-2 Quarks.
These are rated IPX-8 water resistance. Not sure why they are not dust rated, but offer waterproofing to 50 feet submerged continuous.
They are machined from T-6061 aircraft alluminum.
They feature square threads, which offer far greater strength over standard cut threads.
They use Saphire coated and anti-reflective coated optical grade lens.
The Quark.X...AA-2 has a Maximum 280lm, 36% more vs. Std. Quark 205lm.
The Quark.X 123-2 has a Maximum 360lm, 56% more vs. Std. Quark 230lm.

I used the 18650, AA-1, 123-1 battery tubes on both Quark.X's heads and all work well.
. . . . . . . . . . .. . .

The run times were not recorded. I have used Primary cells and several different rechargeable cells. I noticed less run time using rechargeables than using primary cells, with the exception of the 18650 battery where runtimes were almost the same.
Each light was carried and used for two weeks each.

I appreciate the XM-L emitters wider angle. The Quark X 's beam profile is far from a regular Quark's. The Quark.X has a hot spot that is many times bigger and twice as bright. Wide and white, that is slightly warm. The Hot spot beam angle of the new Quark X is 16.3°, or 48% wider than XP-G Quarks. A comfortable alternative to the narrower 11.0° beam angle of XP-G. The handy part comes in when it is used for up close tasks, the wider softer beam has made it easier to use for everyday tasks.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In Short Range tasks, the brighter and larger hotspot can clearly be seen in these 50 foot short range outdoor night photos.

. . . . . . . . . . . .
50 Foot Beam Shot Comparisons 4 Sevens.X's

For Medium range lighting, the New Quark X 's throw is about the same as previous Quarks. The much brighter light at Medium ranges is welcomed.

. . . . .. . . . . . .
100 Foot Beam Shot Comparisons 4 Sevens.X's

Conclusion, the Quark.X is definitely worth getting. I would get the 123-2 version for medium range and higher output. I would get the AA-2 for battery availability and/or for lego-ing different battery tubes to create your perfect EDC sized light.

Got Lumens?
Comments, Questions, Suggestions Welcomed
Quark.X Lights Provided by 4 Sevens

Last edited:

ryxlyx

Newly Enlightened
Great stuff, thanks! I particularly liked the 50-foot comparisons-- what a difference. Bought a Reg X 123-2 last week that I'm quite happy w/-- even more so as I see it compared to alternatives.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very good job. Thanks for your time and effort. Got Lumens? :)
My Quark AA2(R4), AA(R5) are still good torches.
The new models have brighter hot spot & wider spill.