help with klarus xt10 ring

AlonzoMosely

Newly Enlightened
so i just received a Klarus XT10. the strange thing is that when i install the tactical ring, the light will not turn on. when i remove it, it works fine. so i am thinking i got a defective tactical anti-roll ring, and i need to sand it down on a piece of sandpaper to get it to be thinner so that the electrical connection can be made when the ring is installed. has anyone else run into this issue?

beginner123

Newly Enlightened
FYI, I have an 18650 in my Klarus XT10, it works fine with, and without the tactical ring..

AlonzoMosely

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks, I tried it with an 18650 that just finished charging. Doesn't work. I think it is a defective tactical ring that is too thick and when the tail cap is screwed on as far as it can go, it is still locked out. I'm going to try to sand down the ring and make it thinner. Really kind of a cheap design compared to the screw on ring of my Olight and it is kind of necessary as the thing rolls everywhere without it. I don't know why the manufacturers don't add some flats to the design too keep these things from rolling without a separate ring - unless that is a tactical feature so you can roll the light on the ground to distract the enemy??

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
Upon the first day I bought the light I thought the same thing as well. Make sure the tactical ring slips over the detent/indent (idk what you call it) on the tube side of the light. Flat side of the ring facing towards the head/front of the light. Screw the bottom on and make sure the ring slides over this indentation. Let us know

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with the same problem. So I have this issue with mine too, I've tried the grip ring both ways around and I'm pretty sure everything is as it should be, but it simply won't turn on with the grip ring in place. Alonzo, did you get this sorted?

LP

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine two days ago. Make sure the ring "jumps" over the O ring into the groove. I have not had any issues with mine. Also as previously mentioned make sure the flat side is towards the head. I love my Klarus and find it to fit my needs perfectly

oldmiller

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I received my XT10 this morning and understand your problem. Any way in which direction you mount the ring, you have to screw the end-tail with much power and then it works. Problem is, that you have to screw so tightly that one could think, that he could screw no further, but you can, just use your muscles.
I am fine with that, but admit that you have to screw so hard, that the ring could really be a little thinner, just minimal thinner.

Great light, happy I decided to go with it. I am really delighted.

Kind regards,
Bernd

Last edited:

oldmiller

Newly Enlightened
By the way:

... Flat side of the ring facing towards the head/front of the light. ...
... Also as previously mentioned make sure the flat side is towards the head....

Though obviously mounting the ring that way is the way it's meant to be as you don't want your fingers to slip off the ring, I think that for the mechanics of mounting (to get battery contact) it makes no difference how you mount the ring. The ring has a deepening on one side and no matter which side the deepening is turned to, both ends will sink into this deepening just the same as far as I can see here and for me it makes no difference which way I mount the ring.

Last edited:

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
By the way:

Though obviously mounting the ring that way is the way it's meant to be as you don't want your fingers to slip off the ring, I think that for the mechanics of mounting (to get battery contact) it makes no difference how you mount the ring. The ring has a deepening on one side and no matter which side the deepening is turned to, both ends will sink into this deepening just the same as far as I can see here and for me it makes no difference which way I mount the ring.

Agreed! Was just trying to aid in it's intended mounting direction :)

My ring just broke the other day....would have loved a metal cigar ring. Still love the light though a great performer and quite rugged

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
...Problem is, that you have to screw so tightly that one could think, that he could screw no further, but you can, just use your muscles.

I'm worried about doing damage to the threads, I've already tried tightening more than I think I should :(

LP

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
Sorted this, used a flat-head screwdriver to thin out the inner part of the grip ring a bit.

LP

oldmiller

Newly Enlightened
I wrote a note to my dealer and he told me, that they had this issue on an very early batch (my copy is from a recent) and it usually shoud not occur again. Klarus had sent him thinner rings and he will send me on of these. Though I'm fine with screwing Schwarzenegger-style as stated before, I will happily accept the thinner ring to get the XT10 mounted as it should be.

Kind regards,
Bernd

Last edited: